• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High gears, big tires

rparker762

NAXJA Forum User
OK I have the stock gears in my 96 XJ with the AW4 / 231. I am currently running 31 MT/R's. Am I correct in assuming that according to this website:

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoSpeedoGears.htm

I should be in 3rd for most of my driving to get the best gas mileage possible until I go with 4.56's? Right now at 65 I'm turning about 2000 rpm in 4th, In 3rd the rpms go up to 2500 to 2800. And at 75 I'm turning around 2200 rpm in 4th and real close to 3000 in 3rd.

Ron

Is your speedometer corrected? If not you are actually going faster than your speedometer is telling you.

BTW, you drive a brick. Mileage isn't gonna be great. with 31s on 3.55s just keep driving it like you're doing. I wouldn't go 4.56 unless you plan on stepping up to a 33" tire.

I think the 4.56's are good for 31 thru 33", but it comes down to driving prefrence also. 4.56 will save some gas, but it will vary for each size. I wa on 31's with 3.55 and hated the mpg's. I love my 4.56 set up now on 32's.

Back