• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Pressure Sending Unit connector keeps popping off?

Redsnake

NAXJA Forum User
OK, so the past 4-5 months I've had to re-attach my OPS Unit connection about 5-6 times. Of course I notice this when my guage reads maxed out and then it's as simple as plugging the wires back on to the Sending Unit.

However this doesn't seem normal and it gets to be a bit of a pain. It looks like the little 'tabs' that hold the plug on to the OPS Unit is ok, but I know it shouldn't just come off w/out actually intentionally trying to get it off.

Is this a sign of a faulty OPS Unit? My pressure readings seem to be normal. I don't really notice any leaking oil coming out of the Unit so I'm wondering if this is normal.

Any suggestions or is this just the nature of my '96 XJ 4.0???

try squeezing the connecter a little tighter with a pair of plyers. That will let it grab tighter to the ops.

On the 4.0 it's next to the oil filter. Just squeeze the it with a pair of pliars to tighten the spade connector....

Mine likes to come off too, so it must be a common occurance....

Also, make sure that the connector is dry and clean, any oil or liquid will short it and cause the guage to peg.....

Well I replaced mine w/a unit f/ A-zone and after not even 1 week of use the sender appears to be reading faulty. It will read around 40psi w/the engine is cold and barely fluctuate at all, but once the engine temps warm up the guage tends to peg around 80psi, then back to 40psi, then if you give her a little gas and push the 4.0 to just around 2500rpms the guage pegs again at 80psi... and if I'm driving down the interstate at 65mph+ the guauge is constantly at 60-70psi... NOT what it should be. I'm thinking the A-zone unit is going back to them. It always seems to be hit/miss w/buying products f/them. :(

Redsnake said:
Well I replaced mine w/a unit f/ A-zone and after not even 1 week of use the sender appears to be reading faulty. It will read around 40psi w/the engine is cold and barely fluctuate at all, but once the engine temps warm up the guage tends to peg around 80psi, then back to 40psi, then if you give her a little gas and push the 4.0 to just around 2500rpms the guage pegs again at 80psi... and if I'm driving down the interstate at 65mph+ the guauge is constantly at 60-70psi... NOT what it should be. I'm thinking the A-zone unit is going back to them. It always seems to be hit/miss w/buying products f/them. :(

Mine did the same thing....and it is still doing it...i was thinking maybe it will work after a bit..hahaha

i had one from autozone that went bad after a few months. i just replaced it with one from napa. more expensive but hopefully this one will last.

Back