• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Throttle body cleaning: What to use?

Wow

NAXJA Forum User
My '96 XJ seems to be idling a tad rough, and I'd like to remove the throttle body and all the sensors to clean them out. I've done this before, but I can't remember what I used...why type of cleaner is the best to use and not destroy the sensors?

if you pull the sensors off first, just use throttle body cleaner. You can clean the sensors with WD-40....it's electronics safe and helps repell water ta boot!

you can leave the sensors on and buy a product called deep creep. spray it into the throttlebody while the car is running and it will work through the idle air and map. Works great. Clean intake valves and such too.

CAUTION: If you use the whole can the truck will smoke for 30 min or so. It will run MUCH better, but it will smoke.

You could also use sea foam that stuff is great I think it is better then the deep creep. Get it in the liquid form not the spray form and you would pour it in the throttle body about a third of the can that should work fine leave it there about 1 to 2 minutes then start the jeep then I think you would let it run for about 5 minutes and that should be it

I used good ol' carb cleaner to clean mine in place, sprayed a bunch in the IAC too and it idles way smoother and doesn't hesitate off the line anymore

Deep Creep IS sea foam. Exact same stuff, except it is in a spray can so you can use it as a lubricant/degreaser easier. And it you spray it in it tends to work better than pouring it in, the spray gets carried through the IAC and through the entire manifold. I also unplug vacume lines and spray it into those too. You know it is working when it starts smoking up a storm.

I also recommend Deep Creep because it is an outstanding penetrating oil and lubricant. If you buy the liquid sea foam the only other thing you can do with it is put it in your tank.

wolfpackjeeper said:
I also recommend Deep Creep because it is an outstanding penetrating oil and lubricant. If you buy the liquid sea foam the only other thing you can do with it is put it in your tank.
& oil

wolfpackjeeper said:

and suck it into vacuum line for intake runners....

Don't forget you can also buy a cheapo spray bottle and use it as a spray much cheaper than the deep creep. IIRC, the deep creep is about $5.00
and the liquid is trwice the actual amount of cleaner in a more concentrated form for about $6.00

Back