• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

couple questions about parts i bought for an axle overhaul???

blazinjames

NAXJA Forum User
so i just bought new ball joints, ujoints, axle seals and bearings to do an axle overhaul tomorrow and just have a couple questions,

one the ball joints i bought were very expensive..is it worth buying the more expensive ones if i do lots of 4x4ing? does it really make a difference?

and the woman at the parts desk game me two different axle seals, are they different from left to right? or did she mess up? should they be the same on both sides?

blazinjames said:
so i just bought new ball joints, ujoints, axle seals and bearings to do an axle overhaul tomorrow and just have a couple questions,

one the ball joints i bought were very expensive..is it worth buying the more expensive ones if i do lots of 4x4ing? does it really make a difference?

and the woman at the parts desk game me two different axle seals, are they different from left to right? or did she mess up? should they be the same on both sides?

i always use spicer ball joints and havent had any premature failures. Dont have any experience with comparing cheap to others
the seals are the same on non disconnect d30, and different on the vac disco

What year is your your xj?
Look at the back of the pass. axle tube, thats where you can tell, if you see the vac. disconnect with a vac. line there you got the disco d30. If you see a solid tube from diff to axle end you don't.

if your 89 has ABS you have the non disco. non ABS= disco. also note that the non disco has the larger u-joints.

I bought Omix-Ada ball joints from Trailquest.com and when they arrived, they were Spicer's good ones.
EDIT: And they were only ~$35 per SIDE, not each.

Back