• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Building a STak 2sp MB

woody431

NAXJA Forum User
Im looking into replacing my 231 case with a STaK 2 Speed monster box within the next few months. Reasons for doing so, getting separate f/r wheel drive capability, good clocking choices, and just an all around beefier choice, case,gears, etc. Its connecting to a 95 AW4, front 8 lug 44, rear D70

Going for the 4.3 to 1 reduction
Looking for some opinions on what f/r outputs, should I go 1410 for beef or would 1350's be fine? Im thinking, why not go to 1410s just because the option is there and a little insurance never hurt.

As far as axle gears go, I had planned on running the deepest I could get in the 44, which i believe is 5.89..but running a low TC gear means I might be TOO low for wet, slippery, muddy conditions where I need wheel speed.

Tire size, looking at 38.5x11x16.5" bogger or an Irok in the 39.5" flavor.

Sorry if this seems like senseless rambling, but I need some opinions on axle gears with a 4.3:1 Tcase, tires in that size, output sizes, etc.

Terrain I run, mainly things like the badlands, rockport, etc. Thinking of getting further out of the midwest once I get a trailer. So rocks may be in my future. TIA

With a 4.0/AW4 I would only want to be around 50:1, especially if you need wheelspeed. A 4.3 t-case and 4.10s gets you right at 49:1, 4.56 would get you to 55:1. If you're going to use it on the street also, you'll like deeper diff gears better and it would be best to go with 5.13, 5.38 or 5.89 gears in the diffs and less gearing in the diff (D300 2.62, Atlas 3.0, Atlas 3.8...)

Hey thanks Brett,

The XJ is a trail only rig, might take it on the road maybe one time, and thats only around town with only about a 30mph speed limit. The 2sp monster box has a decent price, im assuming since the advancement of the 3 and 4sp cases, but ill check out the Atlas cases as well. Thanks!

Back