• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Comandtrac/Selectrac swap

MadMrJake

NAXJA Forum User
Ok how hard is this really going to be? can i just swap them, or am i going to add vacum lines to my axles, change the axles as well (i dont see why)? I have heard a number of stories. I am just thinking just swap. ????????

Year has a lot to do with it if you want lights on the dash to work and such.. Going from 231 to 242 you need a pig tail for the dash lights as I remember. Othewise it's a straight swap from the same year to same year, change years and then spline counts come into play..

there are both 89. thanks guys... this info is going to help, do i really need to worrie about the light? they are both autos so it like i can just look at the shifter an tell (but the light would be cool).

i just swapped in a NP231 from a 89 for my np242 in my 90. i prefer the selec-trac transfer case, but the chain died two times, so i gave up. make sure you have the correct splines. 21 on an 89, and the correct length, there is a long and short input. both of the ones i had were short 21. you can get more info about input gears at www.novak-adapt.com

the actual swap took me a whole day, but i also did a SYE and shimmed the axle the same day.

-Tim

Back