• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

drum brake lube?

92DripCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
What kind of grease is good for drum brake backing plate landings and inside the self adjuster threads? Some well hocked spit? Maybe some butter flavor, or ear wax?

( NAPA went bust here in melbourne FL? So did Pep Boys, the only two parts stores that stocked a real selection of grease.

The best part, NAPA online wont ship the damned CRC synthetic grease that looks the best)

Is anti-seize the silver bullet here? Cause there's a con to everything else
the best ceramic and moly lubes arent available locally.

None of the stores below stock high temp brake grease.

Carquest
Bumper to Bumper
Bennet Auto Supply
Ferguson's
Tractor Supply
Advance Auto Parts
Autozone

So its sil-glyde or antiseize. Or another week of busted jeep while I wait for Advance to ship me a packet of grease worth less than the shipping.

you know I thought of that...wasnt sure if it was tough enough to stay put during a "hot stop"

how long will the graphite stay plated onto the steel?

then there's washout. one good submersion and it might rub away

Last edited:
92DripCherokee said:
you know I thought of that...wasnt sure if it was tough enough to stay put during a "hot stop"

how long will the graphite stay plated onto the steel?

then there's washout. one good submersion and it might rub away

That's why I usually burnish the first coat - use a metal ball or a ground metal pin for that. It puts it "into" the metal more.

I've seen some Teflon/moly coats I'd like to experiment with, I just need to clean the backing plates I've got and order the stuff (and then get my wife to not use the oven for a few hours. Gotta stop using it myself, come to think on it...)

The garage I use -uses the silver anti-sieze,on the self-adjuster and the contact points on the backing plate.They even put it on the axle where the drum contacts .
Eliminates a lot of "come-backs" for noise.
Wayne

seems like a solid lubricant is the way to go
Its heat range is superb, withstands up to 2000° F

The CRC synthetic caliper grease is the best "non exotic" grease I could find
its a witches brew of lubricants

PAH based with
teflon
graphite
moly

600° F peak heat

and of course, I cant get out here.

I've been using motorcycle moly chain lube on my adjusters for around twenty years now, no problems. I usually use copper paste on the backing plates.
I usually take my drums off clean and re lube twice a year, often more when playing in the mud. I can't really attest to longevity of the copper paste on the backing plates, the chain lube on the adjusters seems to last forever though.

X2 on the chain lube. I used it once and it has been a staple in my inventory ever since. I always had it around for my motorcycles anyway but just tried it on the brakes on an older car and was amazed that the squeal was gone so have used it with rear drums ever since.

Back