• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle leaking fluid...

89cherokeexj

NAXJA Forum User
I recently replaced my U-joint on the axle. After about a day I noticed that fluid was coming out from the end of the axle tube. I know there is a seal in there. Was wondering how hard it is to do. Do you have to take the gears and everything out or can it be done with the axle together??? This is the driver side axle (the shorter of the 2 axles).

Pull the shaft, crack the diff cover. Then pull the carrier. Pull the old seal (easy) and install the new seal (major pain in the ass).

Replace the carrier and diff cover, and axleshaft, fill with fresh fluid. And you are good to go.

Before doing all that though. Are you sure that the seal is leaking? Or did some of the gear lube leak out of the open hole when you had the shaft removed. (VERY COMMON PROBLEM).

You usually don't notice it till you start driving it around. And the lube makes it out of the tube.

I'd say clean up the mess that it made and drive it around for another week continuing to clean the mess. If at the end of the week, it is still leaking, you definately have a problem.

Karl speaks the truth. Those seals are a major PITA.

If you do pull your carrier, make sure you note the orientation of the bearing caps, and get them back in the same spot and direction.

Back