• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fluid recommendations

rgerber2

NAXJA Forum User
This weekend I am going to change the following fluids and was wondering if there were any specific brands/weights that you have had luck with. Its a 94 xj with stock axles and tranny. I know it was swamped pretty bad before I bought it so I wanna get fresh fluid in it.

Manual tranny
Transfer Case
Axle Fluids & replace rear seal

ParadiseXJ said:
Dex 3 in a manual trans???
Yeah... Uhh... WHAT?!?!? :eek:

75w-90 GL3 or 4 (NOT 5) in your manual tranny(or a specifically designed manual tranny fluid, like Amsoil Manual Transmission or Redline MT-90)
T-case gets Dex 3
Your front and rear diffs depend on what you do with your Jeep. The more harsh usage the thicker fluid you are going to want to use. a 75w-90 is fine for a boulevard cruiser. But of you are towing or hauling around a bunch of crap, or have big tires and wheels you would want to a heavier fluid.

Try the product line from Royal Purple. I have their stuff in my diffs and they are pretty quiet. Can't remember the weight though. Found it on the shelf at my local auto parts store so thought I would try it at my last diff oil change. Been pretty happy with it so far.
Amsoil products are also great to use and I have used them in the past too.
I would recommend either brand to use.

I'm using redline's mt-90 in the tranny and amsoil's severe gear in the axle. I have also used RL's 75w90 in the axle as well(I wish I could afford their motor oil). I like to think Royal Purple is just as good, but have had no experience.

w_howey said:
Your front and rear diffs depend on what you do with your Jeep. The more harsh usage the thicker fluid you are going to want to use. a 75w-90 is fine for a boulevard cruiser. But of you are towing or hauling around a bunch of crap, or have big tires and wheels you would want to a heavier fluid.
I would have to offer a diff opinion.

I work on Strykers 8x8 vehicle capable of going anywhere the ultimate off road truck. 30 tons... and all we use on the stryker is 80/90 in the Diffs. No problems burning up that fluid. I think 80/90 i think enough for what ever you want to do in your jeep.

XJ Stryker said:
I would have to offer a diff opinion.

I work on Strykers 8x8 vehicle capable of going anywhere the ultimate off road truck. 30 tons... and all we use on the stryker is 80/90 in the Diffs. No problems burning up that fluid. I think 80/90 i think enough for what ever you want to do in your jeep.

I won't argue what the stryker needs.. I don't know. But for a Dana 35 both the axle manufacturer and Jeep specify heavier fluid for severe service...

Back