• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crunched me door!

ontheGaS

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all, glad to find this forum! I got a nice little '92 XJ, a stripped down ex-sheriff jobbie. This thing has a smooth 4.0 with auto trans but beyond that, nothing! Last Friday, before drinking, I managed to attempt backing out of the garage with the dang drivers door open. It's toast now, really crunched. The back edge of the fender got some of it too. I attempted to drink out the problem Friday night but it was still there on Saturday morning.

Couple of questions:

I plan on getting a junkyard door. I assume any non-power window/doorlocks driver door from any four door will work?

How does the inside door handle assy remove? There are some clips that are new to me holding it all together.

How do I go about replacing the lock so I can use same key on new door?
I sure don't want to start sawzalling to get the old lock out.

Thanks! :new: Roger in Nevada

Welcome to NAXJA
Any four door door up to 1996 should work. 1997-2001 wouldn't be a direct bolt in, the hinges are different. As for the lock...I'm not sure. Try taking the interior panel out and looking around in there.
Also check and makes sure that the hinges or the part of the door sill where the hinges mount didn't get messed up.

Chris

Look at the rods that connect the handle assembly to the lock assembly. The plastic clips are attached to the latch, and have little claws on them, to hold the rod from falling out. Carefully rotate the plastic clip upward, where it is snapped over the rod and the rod will then pull out of its hole. The clip should stay attached to the latch. To replace, just put the rod back in the hole, and turn the clip back down to snap over the rod.

This is all easier to do with the door panel off. When the latch and lock sub-panel is reattached, there's just enough slack in it to allow you to pull it out and turn it a little to get it through the hole in the door panel.

Make sure you note how the rods are routed, and make sure you remember which one is which. Test the operation of the system before you put the door panel back on.

The window handle just pulls off.

The key lock is held in with a u-shaped spring clip, engaging a groove in the cylinder, which you can access from inside the door. The clip has an L-shaped end, to allow you to push off sideways with a long screwdriver, and the whole lock cylinder will pull right out.

I used an angle grinder on my old door to cut out the inside panel when putting a new door on. This allows you to see how the lock mechanism is assembled and what it connects to - and you're just going to throw the door out anyways.

Hi All,

OK, I'm back on the road today with a $30 door from Pick N Pull. Lucky to be there on 50% off day. However, the best door I found, and really the only good door was off a pimped out wagoneer model with full power, leather, chrome and woodgrain strip. I now have a driver's door with an openable vent window and power window. The rest of the XJ is manual. The gray Jeep is offset now by a white driver's door with the big woodgrain strip on it and the only chrome on the vehicle; mirror, trim and door handle...pretty goofy but it's straight and all works. I was able to fit my lock into the door for one-key operation. At the junkyard I had to use vise grips to start some of the hinge bolts but the disassembly, fitting, wiring were all really easy. My gray panels fit into the new door ok too. Thanks for your suggestions.

Does your XJ have a switch marked "Ext Idle" or "Extended Idle" anywhere on it? If so it's quite a desirable little switch :)

Back