• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tire laws

jeepster96

NAXJA Forum User
whos tires stick out past there flares or jeeps with out flares. i have been pulled over 5 times now for my tires. cop told me my flares have to cover my whole tire cause i have tread that wraps around my tire and i have to have mud flaps in the front. i have the slick rock gear flares in the front but they dont cover my whol tire. any suggestion on whayt i should do? oh and they dont come down far enough. in the back is understandable cause i dont have flares back there but do have mud flaps. anyone know tha laws of how far a tire can stick out?

RCW 46.37.500
Fenders or splash aprons.

(1) Except as authorized under subsection (2) of this section, no person may operate any motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer that is not equipped with fenders, covers, flaps, or splash aprons adequate for minimizing the spray or splash of water or mud from the roadway to the rear of the vehicle. All such devices shall be as wide as the tires behind which they are mounted and extend downward at least to the center of the axle.

(2) A motor vehicle that is not less than forty years old or a street rod vehicle that is owned and operated primarily as a collector's item need not be equipped with fenders when the vehicle is used and driven during fair weather on well-maintained, hard-surfaced roads.

you only need mud flaps if your vehicle is a certain hight off the ground. i cant remember off the top of my head but ill look. how much lift do you have and what size tire you got?

I know that when i lived in washougal. I got pulled over by almost every cop in that town. I had no flares and 33 12.5 I think that they are more woried about he mud flaps. Get wide mud flaps that cover to the center of your axle and you should be fine.

ihave 5 inchs with 33 12.5s he was tell ing me that myflare has to be 75 degrees forward and 15 back and that it he took a string with a wieght and put it on my flare it should not touch the tire. this sucks

jeepster96 said:
ihave 5 inchs with 33 12.5s he was tell ing me that myflare has to be 75 degrees forward and 15 back and that it he took a string with a wieght and put it on my flare it should not touch the tire. this sucks

WOW!!!

That cop there is an asshole

Keil

jeepster96 said:

The only way to truly know the rules is to search the RCW.

Google "revised code of washington" and search away.

From my brief search, it only says what I posted above. But I didn't do that much digging.

Once you have found your answers, make your jeep conform, and keep a copy in your rig with you. Don't argue with the cop if he still wants to give you a ticket, take it to court with the copy of the RCW and you will most likely get off if you are keeping it legal.

KarlVP said:
The only way to truly know the rules is to search the RCW.

Google "revised code of washington" and search away.

From my brief search, it only says what I posted above. But I didn't do that much digging.

Once you have found your answers, make your jeep conform, and keep a copy in your rig with you. Don't argue with the cop if he still wants to give you a ticket, take it to court with the copy of the RCW and you will most likely get off if you are keeping it legal.

I did that a while back. I got pulled over for making a left hand turn onto a one way street when the light was red. The cop said I was getting a big ticket and I said, here ya go. Gave him the paper that states the law and he didn't know what to say. He had never heard of that law and eventually let me go while saying he was very sorry for wasting my time

Keil

Karl's post earlier is the basic info. The idea is to protect others behind you from everything that can come off of a tire.

Most of my vehicle don't conform to the letter of the law for many of the RCW's and every once in a while I get a warning or a ticket for it. However, the better job you do of attempting to do the most reasonable intent of the law the less likelyhood you are going to get pulled over, get a warning or a ticket.

Start with mudflaps on the rear tires. Then reasonable flares that cover most of the top of the tires. If you still get issues then you might have to come up with a more extensive flare, flap solution. Most people with stock flares, 33's and a decent set of mudflaps rarely get much hassle.

Michael

I have stock flares with 33X12.5's and have never been pulled over or given crap about them. On a nice rainy day it shoots water and road crap everywhere. My buddy just got busted though since he had no flares and he picked up some TJ flares for cheap. Im getting new flares just because im tired of the road crap always covering my rig.

windle said:
that cop is an ass hole !!!1 just beat his ass

Now that is an effective way of looking at it :gee:

Michael

2xtreme said:
Karl's post earlier is the basic info. The idea is to protect others behind you from everything that can come off of a tire.

Most of my vehicle don't conform to the letter of the law

I find it amusing that the day I drove my brand new 2007 dodge from the dealership it didn't conform to the rules Karl posted as it didn't have mud flaps. I've got some on there now as it was annoying throwing such a huge spray onto my trailer but as it came from the factory is was technically in violation.

FiFo said:
I find it amusing that the day I drove my brand new 2007 dodge from the dealership it didn't conform to the rules Karl posted as it didn't have mud flaps. I've got some on there now as it was annoying throwing such a huge spray onto my trailer but as it came from the factory is was technically in violation.

I agree, I think that most trucks and some cars from the factory don't meet the requirements (rear mudflaps, and often missing front license plate), but OEM's are not required to meet all of the different laws for different states.

My point was only that there are good reason's for MOST of these laws and as much as they might be annoying and sometimes we feel like the cops are nit picking, most of them have very good reasons for them.

Michael

Seems like the RCW doesn't actually mention anything about covering the top of the tire specifically or anything about 75 degrees this or 15 that. I thought I read something specific before about covering entire wheel but it's fuzzy now.
"minimizing the spray or splash of water or mud from the roadway to the rear of the vehicle"

Back