• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ajusting T case linkage

SKIM

NAXJA Forum User
I know that this has been covered many of times but cant seem to find it so here it goes. I have a 94 xj and when I put it in 4wl an then give it gas it popes out. so I have to hold it when I wheel and it is getting annoying.So does anyone have a link or can tell me how to adjust it. Thanks

Last edited:
Loosen the bolt in the block on the linkage. Remove the indicator cover, place 1/8" spacer between lever and shifter gate
9pull all the way back). Retighten bolt in block.

That would be the factory recommended adjustment procedure.

I don't have the books here, but for the 95, as I recall, the procedure is this:

Loosen the trunnion bolt and make sure the rod moves in it (i.e. break the rust bond well, and free it up). Then, from beneath, shift the transfer case into 4 low, making sure that the lever clicks all the way in. Then, from above, shift the shifter into 4 low. Then tighten the bolt. I don't recall any spacer being mentioned, but the idea behind that would be to make sure that there's still a little room left in the lever after the TC has clicked in, to compensate for any flex or stiffness. If you do it right and the linkages are free, it should work without the spacer.

Not in the book, but when you do this, you should be sure that the lever moves freely. The bushing that passes through the hump tends to get stiff. If it's stiff, cycle the lever back and forth about 50 times, until it's nice and loose before proceeding.

"Loosen the trunnion bolt and make sure the rod moves in it" this is the little rod that comes out from the shifter lever it self not the T case correct? sorry for the questions just never doen any thing whit tranny or T case.

Get under the Jeep and have someone else move the t-case shifter. Look for something moving and then find the bolt on it....that's it.

Back