• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changing front hubs, how hard?

The Adam Blaster

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, the reason i was changing the sway bar links in the other thread was because i've moved to a different province recently and to get the XJ plated and insured (about half what i was paying in Ontario BTW) i have to go through this inspection process.
So, the links are almost ready to go, but i also have to change both front hubs to pass this inspection. I had the local Midas shop do the inspection and some other work on it, and it didn't pass the ins. at that time because of the sway bar and the hubs. (Took about 2 weeks to get the hubs ordered and delivered.)
So they said that they wouldn't charge me to do another ins. (100 bucks) if i brought the Jeep back and had them do the work on the hubs. I'm guessing they'd charge me more than the 100 to do the hubs...
But my confidence was somewhat shaken when the guy told me the sway bar links weren't long enough. He obviously didn't look at them very closely as they are adjustable for an XJ with a 3" - 6" lift, and mine is just a 3.

But anyways, how much work is it to do the hubs yourself, in your driveway with a small amount of tools? Is it a royal PITA or fairly simple?

Last edited:
It's not too bad if you've got some wrenching experience. A garage isn't necessary if you've got a good, level paved surface to work on. Hardest part is breaking the torgue on the hub nut. A hint to help is to break the hub nut loose before jacking the wheel up, same as front lug nuts. The rest of it is pretty straightforward. Any decent manual will walk you through it decently enough. Set aside a full Saturday afternoon and you should have no problems.

Oh, and make sure you have that hub nut socket before you start. I don't remember what size the XJ has, but my '98 ZJ required a 36mm socket. Big sucker!

I might be a little dense, but how do break the hub nut loose with the wheel on the ground? Don't you need to remove the wheel to get to the hub nut?

I am just curious, as I need to change the inner axle seal soon.

Thanks!

soccerdude said:
I might be a little dense, but how do break the hub nut loose with the wheel on the ground? Don't you need to remove the wheel to get to the hub nut?

I am just curious, as I need to change the inner axle seal soon.

Thanks!
no, you can access the hub nut through the center hole on the rim.
one clue.
search for sacrificial bolts.
You'll find the easiest way to get the hubs off if they're nasty and rusted on there.

Another helpful thing to have is a long & strong breaker bar. If you can't get it loose you can get any local tire store to break it free with an impact gun and then lightly snug it back up so that you drive it home and remove it by hand. I had to resort to that solution on one occasion when my 270lbs standing on the end of a 3ft long pipe didn't get the job done! Just bent the pipe....

Well, i have the Jeep still up on the jack stands cause the QD sway bar links aren't done yet.
I've got the 13 mm, hammer and pliers, but definitely not the 36mm socket. And the breaker bar, but no pipe. Pipe can be had for pretty cheap, and i could always return it to Home Crappo after i've used it. :D

I suppose i can try it out and bring it back to the foolios at Midas if i can't get it finished myself.

Thanks again guys!

Back