• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

couple questions about my 89 jeep cherokee???

blazinjames

NAXJA Forum User
when i start up my jeep i always get a strong smell of oil. I have blow by so could that be the reason im smelling the oil on start up?

also ive noticed latley that i can smell coolant when im driving? what could that be? ive looked around and i dont really see a coolant leak anywhere?

yeah, blow by could cause the odor on start up as oil is being mixed with intake air before combustion....the result is that you'll be burning oil.

As for the coolant leak, you might check your freeze plugs...they tend to rot out after a while, and they can be a bitch to replace (at least mine were).

However, just hearing that your having both oil and coolant issues always raises the concern of a blown head gasket as well. =( ya might wanna check your oil and coolant reservoir to make sure fluids aren't mixing.

If you're smelling coolant from inside the vehicle it might be the heater core.
There's a valve under the hood that's supposed to bypass the core unless the
heater is on but it may not be working. You might try manually bypassing it and
see if the smell goes away. Good Luck

Back