• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Caliper replacement

xj-boonie

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have a recommened brand or store?

Also, what's the difference between calipers with the phenolic piston and the ones with the metal piston? (other than the ones with the metal piston cost more)

This is on my 96 XJ Sport, D30 front.

Thanks,
Mike

Phenolic pistons are a sand like materal that is pressed together to make the pioston. they work the same but you need to be careful because they chip real easy durring brake service. I use the calapers from Murrys auto parts because they have a lifetime warranty.

Advance Auto parts also have a lifetime warranty. Not sure if they offer both types of pistons or not. As to the brand. Go with a name brand if you have a choice, like Raybestos or Bendix. In foreign brakes ATE have always been good quality in my opinion too.

JEFF said:
Phenolic pistons are a sand like materal that is pressed together to make the pioston. they work the same but you need to be careful because they chip real easy durring brake service. I use the calapers from Murrys auto parts because they have a lifetime warranty.

Phenolic refers to a type of hard thermosetting resin ( plastic). It is cheap, strong, chemical resistent and can handle high temperatures. commonly known by trademarked name "Bakelite" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakelite

Back