• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flames coming out of my exhaust!!

Tyquan

NAXJA Forum User
99 cherokee sport auto. I have no muffler. When I'm off road and go through a decent sized water hole my truck starts to sputter really bad then dies. It takes a few seconds for it to start but when it does its bearly running and feels like it's going to die again. While it's trying to run theres flames coming out of my exhaust and the pipe is cherry red ! It's popping and making all kinds of loud noises. After a min it will run fine and no flames. I do have a engine code that reads bank 1 sensor 2 which is a oxygen sensor trouble code. Can anyone tell me why my truck shoots flames after i go through a little bit of water?

Tyquan said:
Can anyone tell me why my truck shoots flames after i go through a little bit of water?

....because that's awesome. just think of the cash some people lay down for flame kits and yours is free. be happy :)

Sounds like it's dumping a crap load of fuel into your engine, which is why it isn't running good. This fuel is then igniting in the exhaust pipes and burns on the way out - which is why you see the flame.

O2 code could be because it's running way too rich. Try perhaps checking your ignition system? Or maybe your O2 sensor is shorting out when you go through the water.

Or perhaps your distributor cap is getting flooded. Do you get water in the engine bay?

very little but i think u might br right about the water hitting the o2 and shorting it out causing the pcm to tell the engine to dump fuel...i guess i need a new o2

i think, but im not sure, sensor 2 is the one after the cat. that one doesnt send any data to the engine, it just turns on the CEL when the cat isnt working. you said you dont have a muffler...do you have a cat? if not, then that CEL code is probably not going to go away

or maybe im completely wrong and sensor 2 is the one before the cat, in which case it would explain your problems. seems like sensor 2 would be after the cat though.

is it possible the cranksensor (or something) is getting wet, malfuntioning and screwing up the timing. last time i got glowing red exhust from an engine i was putting a jnnkyard 302 in my mustang and the timing was off.

Cornflake said:
....because that's awesome. just think of the cash some people lay down for flame kits and yours is free. be happy :)

X2

can someone tell me what the second sensor does? it's the sensor furtherest away form the engine. I dont think i have a cat. it's a 99 sport auto. i dont care how my truck looks it's all about how it performs off road. as i said before when i go through water up to my bumper it stalls out. something electrical is getting wet and when i wait a min or two it will start up but then acts like it's going to stall out again. after i give it a lot of gas it runs fine.

Cornflake said:

Yeah until he's near some tall dry grass/shrubs and sets them on fire. Wasn't there a video around a while back of a guy with a ZJ who ended up burning his Jeep to the ground in the woods and setting the woods on fire because of his exhaust?

Your XJ is not amphibious. If you want to go through water, get and Argo, Max, Amphicat, Hydrotrax, Attex or other amphibious vehicle. If you want to sink your money into a sinking XJ it's up to you, I know I'm not made of money to throw away.

mccastlej said:
Your XJ is not amphibious. If you want to go through water, get and Argo, Max, Amphicat, Hydrotrax, Attex or other amphibious vehicle. If you want to sink your money into a sinking XJ it's up to you, I know I'm not made of money to throw away.
Whats the fun in that? :D

recovery.jpg

This was the first week that I got my XJ!! :laugh3:
MAD.jpg

Back