• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

at wit's end!!

dirtymuddog

NAXJA Forum User
i just got new cpu this am, which i thought was the problem, now is doing same thing old comp was...it will turn over for about a second after fuel pump primes, then die. after i replaced the plugs, wires, rotor button, cap, crank sensor, throttle positioning sensor, fuel filter, fuel pump it ran like a champ for about an hour. i ran it all around town. then the next am i go to start it and leave, guess what? this problem. i put a test light on the injectors and it lights up, but then after initial ignition the sob dies. WTF? im at the point:explosion under the gastank if i didnt like it so much. oh yea more info..4.0 auto w/ 160k, and i cut the cat off in the process cuz it smelled like it was clogged. thanks for any help

i can check the pressure, i guess some trash could have gotten in line after i cleaned the tank when changing the pump. the power latch relay, its the second what from the left?

On the passenger side wheel well you will see 4 blue relays one next to each other looking down at them from the passenger side its the 2nd one in from the left change it with one of the others and see if it works now if not it rules out the relay.

Ron

anybody else got some ideas, im tryin to make a list of what i havent hit yet and start there. i checked my grounds, replaced my main one off the battery, that sob was ripped in all kindsa places. that didnt fix my prob but im sure it prevented some in the future

dirtymuddog said:
thanks, i think i switched them around already, but i might as well try again. thanks

Don't switch them around, I had two out of the 4 bad, get all new ones.

relayscopy.gif

Had the identical problem. I checked all the relays (4) according to the tests in the Renix manual and they all checked out good. I was at my wits end also and after checking all the componts you replaced (including the wiring) I determined that it could only be fuel pump relay so I replaced them all with new ones. Jeep now runs perfect.

dirtymuddog said:
could it be the starter relay? it looks differant..most relays are box shapes that cost bout $12 and the starter relay cost $52?
No that only effects starting, it's not used for run.
The cube relays should be about 1/2 that much at Napa or Autozone.

if i dont sell this xj after i get it fixed, ill let ya have it man. if i sell it they might want the cat, or if i use it as a trade in it might help.

well its not wanting to start now, replaced the ballast resistor, thought that might do it...guess its time to buy relays and maybe the ignition control. if anybodys got any ideas, i dont care if it involves duct tape and mouse wheel, let me know! thanks fellas

Back