• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Loaded clips?

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
Anyone got any opinions on weather it is bad or not? Was told it was bad to leave them loaded for more then a couple weeks. This seems like bs to me. Anyone got any thoughts?

Nope, I guess if they use cheap springs it might be an issue. I don't load them all the way, usually short one round. There was a study done on it, don't remember where now, but the gist of it was 'a non problem'...

RichP said:
Nope, I guess if they use cheap springs it might be an issue. I don't load them all the way, usually short one round. There was a study done on it, don't remember where now, but the gist of it was 'a non problem'...
That is kinda what i was thinking. I noticed all my ar clips were rebuildable so to speak. Or at least could be torn down and cleaned.

Magazine. Clips only apply to wheel guns.

31X6TlzLM9L._AA280_.jpg

I have a few McCormick 10 round 1911 mags with really stuodt springs. One stays loaded with defensive ammo. I've never had any problems, but if you have a "cheap" OEM mag with a weaker spring you may want to think twice.

what i've found, is that if you leave a full magazine for too long, the rounds depress the spring, and it will be bent into that, so when you start to fire, your spring wont decompress like it should, and you will have issues w/ proper loading into the chamber.

that, and you can take rounds out, then if you shake the magazine, you can hear the spring slide back and forth and your rounds wont come up to the top like they should (kinda difficult to xplain w/out pics)

What I do with my carry G22 is, I have 6 mags, 3 I carry at a time, I switch them every 2 weeks.

My only experience with continously loaded clips was when I was a kid, I found my Uncles old Daisy that had been sitting in the attic for 35 years with a full load of BBs in it. The feed spring in the magazine was dead.

I unload everything I have when I am done with it. So nothing stays loaded more than a day.

I wonder what the Military teaches folks about loaded clips?

Ron

Zuki-Ron said:
I wonder what the Military teaches folks about loaded clips?

Ron

Yea me too.

i have 12 AR-15 20 rd'rs that i found in my dads shed. they have been loaded with 18 rd's each since the mid 70's. they work just fine. i leave my mags loaded all the time. if it's a handgun mag, i drop one rd. if it's an AR or M-14 mag i drop two rd's. i've never had a function problem. but i do use good quality stuff. you get what you pay for.

Ghost said:
Yea me too.

i know i was taught, for while being out here, 's good to clean out your mags and drop all the rnds at least once every 2 weeks, clean out the inside, reapply a light film of CLP to the spring, etc. . . stretch stuff back out, then reload your stuff, and if you have the capabilities, rotate your mags, so you wont wear em out too fast.

another thing i've started doing that seems to work pretty well. is using dry graphite on the followers. it comes in a spray can and you just paint the sides of the follower and let dry. it makes it very slippery but since it's dry it doesn't let the dirt and grime stick to it.

+1 to everything above. If you have an old spring (like WWII era) the spring will likely have a memory if compressed and won't spring back well. ALL (yeah, bold statement but I stand by it in all but the cheapest crap mags) modern mag springs won't have a problem, it's the repeated movement of the spring that will wear it out, not being constantly compressed.

Lots of mags have problems with the follower tipping and causing problems like Ladywolf mentioned. Either get good followers or take very special care in cleaning and lubrication of the mag- preferably both.

If you are dealing with that new AR of yours go to 44mag.com and buy some CProducts or DH/Labelle mags for $10 each. If you can get the Magpul follower that's even better.

I've left magazines loaded for years with no ill affect. A pring does not wear out by being compressed it is worn by flexing so leaving it compressed is no problem for them. Heck probably have 100 assorted magazines loaded at the moment some I am sure have been loaded over 10 years. No worry about them.

Brian_NJ said:
I've left magazines loaded for years with no ill affect. A pring does not wear out by being compressed it is worn by flexing so leaving it compressed is no problem for them. Heck probably have 100 assorted magazines loaded at the moment some I am sure have been loaded over 10 years. No worry about them.

ready for the end of the world huh. guess its always good to be prepared

FlexdXJ said:
ready for the end of the world huh. guess its always good to be prepared

well sort of I used to shoot alot of 3 gun matches and still shoot about 20 k rounds a year for fun. So the kids load the mags for me :)

I wouldn't worry about it. I leave the mags on my carry piece loaded at all times, except for when I go to the range.

I keep 4 30 rounders only filed with 23 rounds. I can grab my shit and go. If I have time I just pack three mags and empty one. That gives me 3 packed clips one in the chamber and one last resort. Basically keep a handfull of mags partialy full and save your springs.

Back