• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 XJ Oil Pressure?

sleeperjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 89 XJ with a 4.0. My Oil Pressure gauge says that I run at 20 lbs of pressure while idling and the same when driving/accelerating. Is that normal? Could the sensor be bad, or is my oil pump going out? What does a normal XJ run at?

Thanks

sleeperjeeper said:
What does a normal XJ run at?Thanks

Well that's hard to say, but for your reference, the oil pressure readings on my 89, running 10-30W oil are:

58 psi = cold idle
25 psi = hot idle
60 psi = cruising at 65 mph

I have no clue on the accuracy of the gauge.

Could be a plugged filter, or stuck anti drain back valve or stuck oil pressure relieve valve or the common item, a bad sensding unit.

I would change the oil filter and oil, and then the sending unit, in that order immediately.

Jess said:
sounds like you need a new sending unit. If you don't hear any valve chatter, your pressure is fine.
I think I do get a little chatter. By sending unit, do you mean the oil pump? Sorry for my ignorance, but I have delved very little into this type of stuff. I assume it is inside the oil pan?

sleeperjeeper said:
I think I do get a little chatter. By sending unit, do you mean the oil pump? Sorry for my ignorance, but I have delved very little into this type of stuff. I assume it is inside the oil pan?
Nevermind, I figured it out where it is at. is there an easy way to test it, or should I just replace it and go from there?

They go bad on a regular basis it seems, possibly due to physical damage from oil filter installs that bump them too hard.

Just check the wire connector on the sensor, make sure it is clean and fits tight when it spaps on. If that does not fix the reading then the sensor is bad, or you have some other problem like I listed earlier.

Back