• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Infamous Part Time Light

B.RAIDER

NAXJA Forum User
I've been reading the post for trouble shooting this bugger and I have a question.
I just went and checked the vacumn actuator motor on the front axel and.....

Is it supposed to move or should it be ridgid? I was checking the hoses and it turned just a little.
My 4wd works good .... just trying to find the light problem (stays on).
88 Cherokee Pioneer

Last edited:
One of the vacuum lines from the shift motor runs up to a switch that turns on the "part time" light. I believe the switch is buried somewhere just below the Renix overflow coolant bottle. If you have 4 wheel drive, then the shift motor works- so the question is vacuum going out to the switch? vacuum line intact? switch working? wiring intact? burnt out bulb? I think I would start by verifying the vacuum line and vacuum switching to the light switch.

It all seems to be hooked up proper.
But what I wondering is when I was checking the connections at the shift motor... the shift motor turned in my hand just a bit.......is this normal?

I found the "blue" switch I believe you are talking about and all connections look good there. But is that "blue" switch working? I don't know at this point.
I'll look more closely at it to see if the electrical connection to is is ok. How will I check the switch to verify if it is bad or not?

Last edited:
mine is a 88 Cherokee Pioneer too,
my light never would stay on but 4wd worked good.
i puy a zip tie on all the vac lines starting with the intake ma,
and that fixed it. may be you have a leake

the motor will move a little....its normal.Its held into the housing by a clip and sealed by an o-ring.
I got so fed up with my vacuum disco I shimmed the fork over into the locked position and deleted/plugged all the vacuum lines.

Last edited:
redjeep3 said:
mine is a 88 Cherokee Pioneer too,
my light never would stay on but 4wd worked good.
i puy a zip tie on all the vac lines starting with the intake ma,
and that fixed it. may be you have a leake
Thus far we have found no loose connections and no leaks.

If it is just the light on that bothers you, take the bulb out. If you need the light to tell you when you are in 4wd, you don't need to be using it.

Jess said:
If it is just the light on that bothers you, take the bulb out. If you need the light to tell you when you are in 4wd, you don't need to be using it.
LOL...........That will be my option if I can't get it fixed for sure.....:lecture:

Back