• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Receiver Nutplate?

terryd

NAXJA Forum User
I'm putting tow points on my XJ and managed to pick up a used Mopar Class 3 receiver for cheap. The problem is that the rear of my Jeep doesn't have the nutplate on the drivers side to mount it to. I don't feel like paying $26 for one nutplate from Jeep. I was wondering what methods you all had used for such a feat. Its a 98 model if that makes any difference.

I made a two piece version of the OEM. I had access to supplies and a welder at that time. The Rigidco bumper hardware that has been sitting in my basement forever has steel rod welded to the bolts to allow you(me) to place the bolt in the hole. the rod keep the bolt from turning as well.

I wouldn't hesitate to use larger fender washers and high-grade hardware. you could open up the access hole a bit, which would help with getting a wrench in place. Using a telescoping magnet will help. Also using grease or glue to get the washer to stick to the bolt or nut will help when feeding them into the "frame" with the magnet.

Thinking about it a bit, if you can't make a nutstrip, just buy one. So much easier. Time is money... what is yours worth?

My $0.02

If you expect ever to have to remove the hitch again, either to transfer to another vehicle, or to add a skid plate, etc., spring for the nut strip, or make your own. Individual nuts and bolts are a PITA once they rust a little.

I got the salvage yard to throw in the nutstrip when they sold me the receiver for fifty bucks. I wouldn't image it'd be more than ten or maybe fifteen for the nutstrip alone.

Back