• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken Parking brake

Rokee44

NAXJA Forum User
ok i drive a 98 (with the 8.25 if it makes a difference) with the AX-15 so the e-brake is rather important... i pulled into the garage to begin with my fender trimming, pull up the parking brake and i hear a loud pop. the lever assembly looks fine so im assuming the cable snapped. how hard is it to replace? i have zero knowledge of brake mechanics and as im pretty sure ill have to take apart the drum to replace is this going to be a problem for me? its my DD and ive just been parking on flat ground so its been fine... how long would it take to fix? im busy for the next couple of weeks and would like to be able to just pop it off and replace in a short period of time.... any tips on how to do it? i do have a haynes but it seems like its skipping over quite a bit about this paticular issue...

the cables are relatively easy to change. If you crawl under and look for a minute, you'll see how they're attached. The toughest part is getting them out of the brake backing plate, but I found that tightening a small hose clamp around the fingers that retain it allow you to compress them enough to pull it through without much hassel

it's the clevis for the end of the cable - most likely. that's what mine was. same thing, loud pop and the lever lost all resistance. we drilled out the rivet thing holding the clevis onto the lever assembly and made a new one the same size and made a another rivet. pretty easy, use thicker steel so it doesn't happen again!

also, use hose clamps around the prongs on the cables, they seem to work really well!

hmmm on the lever assembly though eh? maybe ill go back and take a closer look at that... it would be nice if i dont have to open up the brake drum to fix this... :p

Back