• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Won't start now?

phreaker76

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I have a 4.0 on a 93 with 11g on a newly rebuilt engine. Just rebuilt t case and fixed plenty of other stuff on it recently. Anyways, I was going to get it registered today and had to make a short stop by the smog test station first. On the way back home before heading out again I noticed something seemed strange. The idle was kicking in briefly to a much higher rpm. Got her home and went to take off to the dmv and the damn thing wouldn't start. It was trying to turn over and my battery is new so I sprayed some starter fluid in the intake but still no turn over... Ok went back an hour later to check the spark but now I can't even get it to try to turn over. Thought the battery may have died with the earlier shenanigans .. nope battery had plenty of juice left. At this point i'm thinking a computer issue? Does anyone have some ideas of what this may be? BOY these older cars can be SOOOO much FUN!!

Check you batt cables and grounds first.

Hmm maybe but It was trying to turn over then an hour went by and now nothing. I don't think it's a battery issue but I will check it anyways..

scrape the insides of both battery terminals, with a knife or a post cleaner, until they are nice and shiny again.....you may just be surprised!.....worked for me a LOT of times, on a few diff cars and XJs......my 2 pennies....

I forgot to mention that the starter fluid wasn't burning .. Like there is no spark. I can't test the spark now though because It went from trying to turn over to nothing at all.

Now you need to check your CPS connector. Try unplugging it and repluging it.

I'll give that a shot in the morning. I'm thinking this is the problem after reading up a little. Hard bugger to find though.. any pointers in location? Thanks

On the top of the bell housing, several inches toward the drivers side from the engine center line.

Look between the valve cover and the firewall, just aft of the intake manifold.

thanks for the link to the nss but I doubt that this is the problem. Is there a way to tell if this is it without a lot of replacing parts?

Now you've got a spare CPS so money not totally wasted. Did you carefully inspect all the wiring and connectors associated with the crank sensor? That is often overlooked. I'd try to verify that your crank reference signal is making it all the way to the computer. Also, have you checked primary and secondary resistances on your ignition coil?

Just curious if anyone knows. If I had a cps problem wouldn't I still be getting spark? I don't have a spark right now so I'm thinking it's probably a coil issue.

If your computer doesn't receive the input signal from the crank sensor, you will not have fuel OR spark. If you don't have spark, continue to focus on that at this point.

Have you checked cps wiring/connectors yet? Make sure there is not a corroded contact on the connector or a broken/fried wire, especially with swapping a different engine in. I believe there is a connection at the back of the engine bay that leads back to the CPS. You should be able to check for a signal there with a meter while somebody cranks the engine I would think but I have not done so personally, maybe somebody else will chime in on how to do that. Use the search function for more information on troubleshooting, it might be in there. Be sure to use an asterisk so that you have 4 characters when searching (CPS*) or spell out all 3 words.

Verifying your coil with a meter for resistances should be more straight forward. Good luck and keep us posted!

Back