• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

some kind of tick?

muihtil

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 2.5L xj. Recently I've been hearing a sort of ticking coming from somewhere around the transmission. The sound gets louder as it warms up and gradually speeds up with the engine rpm. I noticed that it was pretty moist (leaking) where, i believe, the transmission connects to the oil pan. I'm really not very familiar with all the parts on my jeep so you tell me. What would you call this part? Just a bad gasket or seal? Anything will help.

All jeeps leak and all jeeps make odd noises. If you are really worried about it clean everything good and see if you can track the leak. It sounds like your valve cover is leaking and your flexplate or possibly exhaust is loose.

And just for the record, the transmission does not connect to the oil pan.

Get a manual and some tools and get familiar with your jeep.

Jess said:
All jeeps leak and all jeeps make odd noises. If you are really worried about it clean everything good and see if you can track the leak. It sounds like your valve cover is leaking and your flexplate or possibly exhaust is loose.

And just for the record, the transmission does not connect to the oil pan.

Get a manual and some tools and get familiar with your jeep.

Not true.:nono: My Jeep does NOT leak a drop with over 290,000 miles on it. Kinda my thing. I cannot STAND an oil leak. IMHO any leak neads to be addressed and repaired. They only get worse. I will second the exhaust manifold crack tho. Pretty common with the 4.0. Good luck.

:cheers:

mcnamaag said:
. I will second the exhaust manifold crack tho. Pretty common with the 4.0. Good luck.

:cheers:

the only problem i see with this part is he said it was a 2.5L sorry just thought i would correct you

I know. I am not fam with the 2.5. Just stating the 4.0 has that common problem maybe the 2.5 did also.

Back