• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Pressure

Froboy7391

NAXJA Forum User
Is there a common known problem where the XJ(88) has oil pressure issues. I just noticed today that my XJ's oil pressure gauge is at zero!!! Does this mean I can't drive it?

Get a mech gage and double check the pressure.

If it really has zero oil pressure, it is not OK to drive it. You will blow the engine in a short amount of time. Check the connection at the oil pressure switch, it is next to the oil filter on my 91 4.0L, not sure on the older ones. Mine was covered in oil and had a really bad connection where a previous owner had cut the wire and then spliced them back together. Best way to know for sure is to get a mechanical gauge to check the pressure manualy, but I wouldn't drive it anywhere until you know if it has oil pressure or not.

A few years ago, i was going to work and I noticed as I would accelerate the oil pressure would drop to 0. I got to work and noticed oil pouring out of the oil filter adaptor. Then I found out about 4.0's and this problem.

Sounds like a good time to learn. Do you know how to change your oil? If so look at your oil filter. How about your jeep specs. Year, engine, etc.

mcnamaag said:
Sounds like a good time to learn. Do you know how to change your oil? If so look at your oil filter. How about your jeep specs. Year, engine, etc.
Specs are
-1988 XJ Laredo
-4 liter
-auto tranny

and I know nothing about cars whatsoever, never grew up around cars and this is my first one.

So..... are you wanting to learn? I would be more than happy to walk you through some of the basic things to look for. But if not then spend the money and have it towed to a shop.

OK so do you know how to change you oil? If so look to the right of your oil filter. You should see a elect connector attached to a small round looking "thing" about 2 in long at the bottom of the distrib. That is your oil pressure sending unit. Unplug it and look at the gage with out the engine running and the key on. It should max out. If not you have a gage problem. If so we need to look elseware. Let me know and we can move on to the next step.

Froboy7391 said:
Not a clue how to change my oil :) like I said i'm totally mechanicaly defficient

Do you know where the oil filter is?

Standing in front of your Jeep facing the engine. It is on the left side, near the bottom about halfway back. Pretty easy to see.

OK look just to the front of the filter and you will see the ditributer. It is a cap with 7 wires going to it. 6 of those wires go to the spark plugs. The middle wire goes to the coil. Anyway. At the base of the distributer is the oil pressure sending unit. it should have a small single wire going to it. let me know when you find it.

Correct. with the key on unplug it. Your gage should max out. If not its a gage issue. If so we can move on.

Back