• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone else encountered this?

92xjdean

NAXJA Forum User
One day not long ago I went to rent a small 8 foot utility trailer from U-Haul. They looked up the Jeep Cherokee and it came back that it wasn't a strong enough vehicle to tow a small 8 foot utility trailer. I guess my question is this, I know with it being a unibody construction and all, but are these things really not safe for towing? And if they are safe, what is the limit for towing? I was shocked when they guy told me this and wouldn't let me have the trailer!

Make sure you've got a tranny cooler if you're going to tow anything.

Other than that, the XJ should be able to tow the trailer...just go to a different company.

tupton said:
With a class III hitch a cherokee with a 4.0L and automatic transmission is rated to tow 5000 lbs. Tell the boys at U-Haul they got their info wrong.
2,000 pounds for the manual. U-Haul errs on the cautious side and has a whole list of vehicles that can't tow their stuff. Try renting anything to go with a Ford Explorer after the rollover debacle of 1999...

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Yeah, there's been a few posts about U-haul and their tow vehicle requirements.... they have a "rule of thumb" that the tow vehicle has to weigh a certain amount above both the trailer weight and it's cargo combined. Certainly, U-haul is just playing it safe.

I've seen guys from Michigan tow their XJ's on the standard tandem axle 16' car trailer behind a Grand Cherokee and a Dodge Durango with no problems.... but neither of them said it was an easy, stress-free ride.... especially over the mountains.

Basically, if you need to rent a trailer, go somewhere other than U-haul.

EDIT: For those that wanna read up on U-haul's requirements, here's the link to their trailer/vehicle specs - just click on the trailer size you're wanting to use and scroll down to see the minimum requirements:

http://www.uhaul.com/trailers/

Last edited:
Uhaul woulndt rent me a trailer when I had a wrangler with a soft top said they dont rent any trailer if tow vechile is a rag top.

Yep, you can thank a now dead, moron for that. She was pulling one of the tandem axle 16' trailers with a YJ, and ended up rolling over on the interstate. The state police said that the tow vehicle was too light for the trailer, plus the load. Now, you can't even rent a small trailer pretty much unless you show up with a 1/2 ton or larger truck. I can agree to a certain extent with U-hauls' policy, however, it does get carried away, I feel. This is one of the things that you get, however, with "free-enterprise" business. They own the company, so they get to make the rules....

I just recently had Uhaul install a class III hitch on my '00 XJ. It is tow rated for 5000 Lbs in the manual, after all. I flat-towed a 3100 lb Jeepster 300 miles to my home in Houston a week ago, so I figure an 8' trailer should not be a problem...

92xjdean said:
One day not long ago I went to rent a small 8 foot utility trailer from U-Haul. They looked up the Jeep Cherokee and it came back that it wasn't a strong enough vehicle to tow a small 8 foot utility trailer. I guess my question is this, I know with it being a unibody construction and all, but are these things really not safe for towing? And if they are safe, what is the limit for towing? I was shocked when they guy told me this and wouldn't let me have the trailer!

damn it dean!You just had to take the scorpion avatar(joking)
Too bad your in MO I have a 6ft trailer I'm selling for $185

I have towed alot of trailers and vehicles but I was towing my parts jeep home with my XJ and it gave me hell. I believe it had to do with the lift on my Jeep and the parts jeep weighing the same as what was towing it. I had it on a dolly and everytime I went to turn it wanted to push my ass end around. Thank god I only had to go about 4 miles with it. Has anyone had this type of problem with a lifted XJ.

go to a private uhaul dealer.. not like the main stores, but like the little gas station outfits. they'll rent you anything.

PS: screw uballs. horrible company.

Back