• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HOT START ISSUES?

XJDAN9269

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys newbie here wit a long story HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP
Ive had an 87 xj for quite some time now and the old gal has been great 2 me. She now has a little over 282,000 miles on her. Except for the transfer case all else is original the 4.0 L straight six, the tranny and even both diffs. Ive been having intermittent trouble with it starting and going to 3000 rpm and staying there. It has never happened when cold like starting up in the morning. The problem seems to happen most offen when the engine is hot especially after driving in bumper to bumper traffic. The strangest part of this story is it doesnt happen all the time. Like once I drove from work in Manhasset to the service dept at westbury jeep in traffic. I went in 2 pick up some other parts I ordered. It was running fine when I shut it down. Went inside and when I came out it started and whent to 3000 rpm. I shut it down again went inside to see if 1 of the techs were free to comeout and look at it. Wwhen i restarted it ran fine. Things just get stranger from here. I shit it down waited about a min with the tech watching and than it happened again went right up to 3000 rpm and stayed there. He poked around with a few of the harnesses for a min and found nothing. He couldnt stay long cuz he had to finish a job for a waiting customer. I shut it down for a third time waited maybe a minute or 2 and it started and ran beautiful for the entire ride home. A few weeks ago the same thing happened but I coulnt get it started for almost an hour just kept racing, got a ride back 2 work came back a few hours later and it was fine. It seems that when it gets hot enuf something goes haywire and nothing can b done about it till things cool off. I am at a loss with this and do not want to spend too much money on it as I am saving up to get a newer jeep. DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY IDEADS???? No body I know has ever heard of or seen anything like this. Has this happened to anyone here or doens anybody have any ideas.
ANY HELP OR SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED
THANX IN ADVANCE :)

Back