• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 Hatch Glass

I need to replace the rear (hatch) window on my 99 XJ. I tried searching for an answer but all the results were for the older style windows with the seal that holds the glass in place. On the 99 it is held in place by sealant. Does anyone have any tips for removing the glass intact. I found one at a pick-n-pull for $30, but don't want to ruin it.

You could do what I did and slide backwards down a snowy hill into a tree. That made short work of my '99 hatch and hatch glass.

Here is how to do it as published in my 1999 Factory Service Manual:
REMOVAL
(1) Open liftgate.
(2) Remove liftgate trim panel.
(3) Disconnect heated backlite (HBL) connector.
(4) Remove wiper arm.
(5) Remove CHMSL lens.
(6) Using a razor knife, slide the blade between the liftgate glass and the inboard edge of the reveal molding.
(7) Cut around the interior perimeter of the reveal molding and severe the cap of the reveal molding.
(8) Using a cold knife, cut urethane bonding from around liftgate glass. A pneumatic cutting device can be used if available.
(9) Separate glass from Liftgate.

EDIT: CHMSL=Center High Mounted Stop Lamp.

Well I got stuck a couple of nights ago and stupidly used a chain and a strap hooked to a buddies TJ to get me out. After a few yanks one side of his p.o.s. bumper ripped right off his TJ. When this happened the stored energy in the strap acted like a rubberband and launched the chain into my XJ. It hit it with a whip like motion, starting at the bumper and going straight up the hatch and straight through the window even leaving a nice dent next to the third brake light.

Thanks for the info! That's what I thought the procedure would be, just making sure.
Too bad I couldn't bring a pnuematic cutting device with me to the boneyard!

Back