• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bizzare AC blower speed problem

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
Well this past week I had a random problem with my AC blower speed. When on high or one notch under high on the speed switch, it would randomly, or seemingly randomly drop down in speed a notch or 2, then a few seconds later speed back up. I was thinking more problems with the resistor pack or the speed switch or blower or wiring, all of which are already fairly new.:bawl:

So today, I suddenly noticed that the blower speed was dropping during engine acceleration, and speeding back up shortly after returning to cruise or braking. :scared: Then I finally noticed that the blower speed was not really slowing down or changing, but the vent damper was redirecting some of the air flow from the vent (blowing on me) to the defrost, upper vents (no blowing on me) making it appear that the blower speed was changing.

So I starting thinking something is up with the vacuum lines somewhere.

Atfer reaching the point of feeling like I was hasta, I finally found the leak, under the hood on one of the vacuum lines that leads to the AC / heat section through the firewall.

Now get this, the leak was caused by a brand new piece of vacuum rubber hose that I had installed 2 weeks ago after breaking the hard tubing in one spot. The rubber tubing I mended the hard tubing break with was the right size, but the package of tubing I had bought (about 5 ft in a coil pack) of 5/32 " ID hose had a defective inside bore that was not round, but had a what looks like a tear drop shape allong the entire length of the tubing inside wall.

That thin tear drop shape on the inside of the rubber wall, caused the hose to leak very slowly, even though it was tight. I had to turn the engine off, run around and look and listen under the hood for the leak to finally find it. I have never seen anything like this before, the defective rubber hose, or the bizzare vent and seemingly blower speed cycling effect it caused.

I can only image how batty this would drive some else trying to debug this problem if they were not already intimately familar with the vacuum lines, AC blower, blower controls, vent damper controls and so on......etc.

With the engine off, I could only hear the vacuum leak for about 5 seconds before it disipated.

There may be more of this bad hose on the store shelves, so check the hose ID when you buy it for roundness! It was 5/32" ID vacuum and washer fluid hose.

Back