• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pinion bearing install???

Ricky

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering how to install the outer pinion bearing on my Dana 35 axle. I just tried to tighten the yoke but it didn't press the bearing onto the pinion. Am I supposed to use a press somehow or what? It's on my friends XJ and we're kinda lost. Any information would be a big help.

Thanks,
Ricky

Anyone? Is there a tread or websight that could shed some light on the topic. I havn't been able to find any so far, but I could be looking in the wrong places.

Thanks again,
Ricky

The Outer bearing is not Press Fit... it just slides on to the Pinion shaft. Make sure the Crush Sleeve is in place. ~Ace~

Ok so let me explain the problem that we're having.
My pinion is flopping around, so the yoke is flopping around, we figured that the pinion bearing had to be set into the race to hold the pinion at center, if thats not the case then what holds the pinion at center? Do we just torque down the nut on the pinion?
The reason we have the axle apart is because when I slow down the entire Jeep vibrates like mad, until I come to a complete stop, I had recently lost my U-joint on my driveshaft that connects to the yoke, and thats when we noticed all the play in the pinion.
Could it be something else that is causing all of the play?
Or is something else causing my vibrations, like driveline bind or front ujoints?

Thanks in advance
mark

To obtain the torque needed to crush the sleeve you will need to use a flange tool to hold the yoke and then tighten from there. When you set the tension (bearing preload) you crush the sleave to obtain the correct rotating tension. Usually use a neddle style torgue wrench (inch lbs) and make sure spec is right. after done a few times usully can do by feel. Hope this helps

Back