• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What Axle do I have: I've read the FAQ

turpehar

NAXJA Forum User
I've done quite a bit of searching and have read the FAQ but I'm still puzzled about which axle I have. I have a 98 XJ with Auto. The reason I ask is because I just replaced the rear wheel bearings and had to go back to the parts store because the bearings I got on the first trip were too small.

I had tried to make sure what I had before I went, and I was pretty sure it's a D35.
The cover is oval shaped with a rubber plug. So, I go back to the parts store and they get the only other option they have for that year, and the bearing matches the one I pulled. Their inventory system said the part was for an "8 1/4". I assume this means an 8.25" ring gear, not reffering to the axle type.

That being said I presume I have a semi floating D35 with an 8.25" ring gear, C clip, 3.55 ratio, non limited slip. Can someone please let me know if I'm wrong?

Thanks

There are only 2 options for a 98 unless someone has swapped it. The d35 or the Corporate 8.25...If you have already eliminated the D35 then you have an 8.25 (that is the type of axle and yes it does refer to the ring gear size). Easiest way to tell is if the bottom of the housing is flat then it is the 8.25.

turpehar said:
I've done quite a bit of searching and have read the FAQ but I'm still puzzled about which axle I have. I have a 98 XJ with Auto. The reason I ask is because I just replaced the rear wheel bearings and had to go back to the parts store because the bearings I got on the first trip were too smal.

I had tried to make sure what I had before I went, and I was pretty sure it's a D35.
The cover is oval shaped with a rubber plug. So, I go back to the parts store and they get the only other option they have for that year, and the bearing matches the one I pulled. Their inventory system said the part was for an "8 1/4". I assume this means an 8.25" ring gear, not reffering to the axle type.

That being said I presume I have a semi floating D35 with an 8.25" ring gear, C clip, 3.55 ratio, non limited slip. Can someone please let me know if I'm wrong?

Thanks
If it has ABS, it's a 35,Non ABS, 8 1/4.

ia green96 said:
If it has ABS, it's a 35,Non ABS, 8 1/4.

Half marks. There were some D35s issued in late models without ABS.

If you do have ABS, you have the D35 (the ChryCo 8.25" wasn't issued in an XJ with ABS.) If you do not have ABS, it could go either way - but the odds are in favour of the ChryCo 8.25"

The D35, IIRC, has a 7-5/8" (or thereabouts) ring gear, just so you know.

Back