• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear axle suprises :)

T3hk1w1

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I was crawling around under the Cherokee today to check some wiring stuff, and I noticed something very interesting. My rear axle, which I had been thinking was a D35 (diff cover looks the same! :confused: ), has this tag on it! :doh: So I guess I have a Chrysler 8.25" after all :)
This does explain a few things, I was wondering why I had a D35 with no ABS.

DSC00670.jpg

The easiest way to differntiate between the D35 and 8.25 is the 8.25 the bottom of the differential is squared off where the D35 is rounded.

:D thank god eh...I also just realized I had the 8.25 by hearing about the squared edge difference as dave mentioned... however I need to re-gear because of the new tires...and I want to put lockers in....so if im spending that kind of money im probably going to pick up a ford 8.8 or D44 and swap it out anyways :( ...might as well do it right the first time tho right? but ya the 8.25 is waay better than the D35 at least I know I wont snap a shaft by turning a corner too quickly or driving over a speedbump :p

I have a similar post. Went to the parts store and got bearings for what I thought was a D35 and got the wrong parts. Went back and the correct parts that were were listed in the book as for an 8 1/4.

I would have guessed you were from a warm area,,, no salt to eat away all the stickers underneath.

Anyone have pics to show the difference a bit clearer? I replaced the rear u-joint and pinion seal in my rear axle today--and neither of them fit right. Since it's just to make it roll for now, I didn't worry too much, but the seal had close to 1/8" gap on the yoke side, and the joint had way too much gap.

What years are you guys talking about, I'd assumed the '90 was either a D35 or a D44. This certainly doesn't look like any 44 I've ever had...

Back