• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I HAVE to get this fixed.

Pen_Two

NAXJA Forum User
If anyone could plese tell me what's wrong with my XJ, I'd be very appreciative!

It does not have ABS, it's a 2001 with an Auto.

Under normal braking, it feels fine...under heavy braking with a little bit of momentum, there's this hellish clicking noise. I have no idea where it's coming from other than anywhere ahead of the transmission. I was told the noise isn't audible outside of the XJ, but it's crazy loud from the inside.

Thanks in advance NAXJA!

i had a problem like that but it was happening because i didnt have a sye and i had a lift sorry for not being a help, might want to check your front driveshaft u joint i had u joints that were going bad make some noise like that while braking

Pen_Two said:
It's multiple clicking, and it clicks in correlation to the speed of the vehicle.

Doesn't this sound like the wear indicators for the pads to anybody else??? :dunno:

I had rotors that had cracks that made a clicking noise when hard braking, but there was significant feedback on the brake pedal.
do you have any play in the hub bearings?
front driveshaft ujoints in good condition? (as previously mentioned)

OLAK said:
I had rotors that had cracks that made a clicking noise when hard braking, but there was significant feedback on the brake pedal.
do you have any play in the hub bearings?
front driveshaft ujoints in good condition? (as previously mentioned)

I just pulled it into the garage to take a look at it. I'll report back after I take a look at it.

Brainstorming here. How about something relating to the pads or calipers "shifting" with heavier braking pressure......something a bit loose?? Let us know what you find.

I've been guilty of checking a couple of pads only to find the hard to see pad on one side is completely shot! Make sure you check all 4 pads closely. And of course you're sure it's from the front?

I'v seen the rubber breather tube on the front axle come loose from the control arm. Under moderate to heavy breaking there is enough weight transfer in the body to allow the front drive shaft yoke to hit this and make a noise like a card in bike spokes.

Ok, so I got underneath it and started tinkering. I noticed the linkage from the 4WD lever was a tad tweaked (hence having to finagle it into 4H). Then I while I felt accomplished in solving my issue with getting into 4H, it's still a bitch to get into 4L (yes I know the procedure but it's like I have to jerk the handle to get into 4L, if I go slow it won't engage). So I put it into 4H and tried to see if the noise would go away, it didn't.

I checked the rear drive shaft and it doesn't spin in the slightest. Maybe a milimeter or less. The front drive shaft spins about a quarter inch before having resistance in both directions. I jerked it around and the noise it made from the front differential resembled the clicking I'd hear under heavy braking. :banghead:

Back