• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air dam - what is the purpose ?

Slonopotam

NAXJA Member #1358
Hi,

What is it needed for ? Is it purely cosmetic ?
Does it affect aerodynamics/mpg, engine cooling on a highway, air intake temperature/pressure ?

I am contemplaining loosing it.

Thank you,
Andrey

i got mine off, the front steering skid makes the toaster have slightly less drag, the air hitting all the steering components prolly isnt good for aerodynamics but niether is driving a box on the highway.

It's there for aero (and possibly for cooling, as well). The general idea is to try and keep the airflow out from the bottom of the vehicle...all those protrusions down there to screw up the airflow and cause extra drag.

You'll be fine without it.

mine fell off on a log, thats when I did the bumper, flare and fender trim

It holds your factory fog lights? At least that's all mine is doing :roll:

I am getting 18-19 mpg usually. The day I drove with the dam off I got 14.8 mpg. Could be the wind, could be flat tire, could be me. Could be that the absence of the dam contributed.

98XJSport said:
It holds your factory fog lights? At least that's all mine is doing :roll:

Actually it doesn't even do that. It just has holes that the lights stick through.:patriot:

Last edited:
crystalship1 said:
Actually it doesn't even do that. It just has holes that the lights stick through.:patriot:
Sarcasm ;)

Slonopotam said:
I am getting 18-19 mpg usually. The day I drove with the dam off I got 14.8 mpg. Could be the wind, could be flat tire, could be me. Could be that the absence of the dam contributed.
the air dam could contribute to your loss of mpg but i doubt it would even be close to that much. probly your driving mayb a bad mood that day =P

PurpleCherokee said:
Air dams = ricer? So every vehicle built today is a ricer?

Hmmm guess someone does not have a sense of humor. Most vehicles have them for aerodynamics. Although on a box like the XJ it will not make much of a difference. If you notice most of your lowriders (RICERS) have a fairly large airdam on their car for the aerodynamics and to make it look like they are darn near dragging on the ground.

:read:

maybe not, but you could get new mirrors that automatically fold in as you go faster, that would probably give you your 5mpg back...

(HEAVY sarcasm)

Take it off! It'll look like you are higher up anyways

Back