• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no start?

Kiefer316

NAXJA Forum User
okay i was driving home just got some gas and something starts to happen like the gas pedal is not working anymore and i turn into a parking lot like from where you could see the gas station and i pull up and it dies after i turned it around. so i try starting it for a minute and it will not start. it cranks but will not turn over. any help will be appreciated

What year, what engine?

For a no-start, remember the basics and verify that you have spark and good fuel delivery. I normally verify spark first. If you can pull a plug wire, put a spare plug in there and hold it near a good ground while somebody else cranks the engine... look for a consistent blue colored spark from plug electrode to ground.

Something simple you can try...Do you hear the fuel pump energize and run for 2-3 seconds when you turn the key to the ON (not crank over) position? Putting a fuel pressure gauge on the schrader valve on the fuel rail and comparing those readings to spec. is a better way though to verify fuel delivery.

Couple of common no-start problems with the XJ (there are many mind you) are a bad crankshaft position sensor which results in no spark/no fuel, or a fuel delivery issue (pump/regulator/filter).

Good luck and keep us posted...

well it just happend its a 1989 pioneer straight 6 and when i did have the key turned but not cranked it did make a sound i am guessing it is a no spark issue thank you for your help

A couple of other quick and dirty things to try would be to (BE VERY CAREFUL) press on the stem inside the schrader valve on the fuel rail; you should have a high pressure spray of gasoline. This is by no means a conclusive fuel test but it's still information. You also could see if your engine runs or fires on a bit of starting fluid. If it runs momentarily with that, the problem is fuel delivery.

My throttle cable once broke from the throttle body and caused the same problem..just used a bit of jb weld got the pedal and engine turning normal again. I don't know if its the same problem but had to say it.

okay i gotta go check for spark i just got an oem spark thing that should help me out but if its not that then it must be the fuel stuff. i also just got a manual to help me out with the problem

My crankshaft position sensor went out right after I had replaced the slave cylinder on my 92 last year. It kind of threw me off when it started bucking, missing, and then ceased to run completely. It would turn over but not ever even close to catch or give me any sign of combustion. I got a fuel pressure gauge which told me I had pressure (I could also hear the pump priming when I turned the key from the OFF to the ON--not START--position). I checked for spark and nothing. Swapped the coil with my parts Jeep (which still would try to start at that point thus telling me that coil was fine) and still no spark. Girlfriend(!) suggested I change the CPS, and we did, and it started and ran ever since. I never would have guessed that I would suddenly go from spark to no spark in an instant, or at that particular instant, but if a part fails, it has to happen sometime. I second replacing the CPS if it is a spark problem.

If you're going to check fuel pressure by simply pressing the shraeder valve on the fuel rail, I'd cover it with a rag so you don't get it shooting towards your face. It is a quick and easy test but use common sense about the safety aspect.

birchlakeXJ said:
. You also could see if your engine runs or fires on a bit of starting fluid. If it runs momentarily with that, the problem is fuel delivery.
]

tried it and it started with the fluid this means that there is a fuel delivery problem right
what should i check now?

you can try bypassing the fuel pump ballast resistor... It would be on the driver's side inner fender, a rectangular white ceramic one, with wires going to it. Make sure the wires are well connected and the resistor is not burned out. If that doesn't help, you may have a clogged fuel line or fuel filter...or a bad fuel pump.

well just picked up a fuel filter gonna go replace it here in a few if that does the trick i think it may be a clogged fuel line cause it was cold at night with less then a quater tank of gas but if worse comes to worse i will have to replace the pump

X2 on McQue's suggestions. I'd replace fuel filter and try the ballast bypass as those are the simplest. If no luck with either of those, then I'd suspect the fuel pump itself. Other possibilities would include fuel pressure regulator I suppose.

Now that you know it runs with starting fluid, you've just eliminated a lot of things. Stay on it....

i just think it looks fine but i am just about to go do the filter and see also did i mention that it was hit in the rear also i had just put gas in it like litteraly 5 min erlier. i also just asked my dad and he said that it has to be the filter if there is noise in the pump so ill keep ya updated

An easy way to check the pump when you're changing out the filter is to use a bottle or bucket, something to catch the fuel. Use the sending line that you disconnected from the filter and put it in the bottle, have someone turn the key to on, and see if fuel is getting out of the tank. Be sure and put the filter on correctly too, they are directional.

okay so just did the filter and found out the fuel pump is this source of all this hesitation but i dont wanna have to take it all off just to do it...please help. would i have to take the tank off to replace it because it does not look like i need to i will post a pic here in a few. any help will be awesome

You can take the pump out without removing the tank. It's not necessarily easy, but it can be done. If your pump is bad, you don't have much choice. I would try bypassing the ballast resistor first to make sure it's not a wiring problem. It would be a shame to spend all that time replacing the pump and have it be bad wiring.

okay got the resistor working properly and now i have to charge the battery cause i was toyin with it too much and the battery was starting to give out on me...now that i know the pump has power im guessing somthing might be broken on the pump or im just not good with this stuff. thanks in advance

Back