• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil leak

foodog2

NAXJA Forum User
Two questions. I bought a 92 xj 4.0 with many problems so I started with the important first. I replaced the complete exhaust including manifold. I replaced the valve cover gasket. The book says use RTV, but I bought a gasket that fit at carquest. It doesn't leak so I guess that is ok. I noticed an oil leak on the oil pan under the exhaust manifold. The chilton guide says I have to jack the motor to change it out. Is that really true? I thought I did good to swap out the manifold and exhaust, but jacking a motor worries me. any tips? Also the emissions guy today told me I should have my fuel system cleaned out wher they hook it to a machine and it cleans out the gunk in the intake, throtle body, injectors... It is only $100 is that worth it.

Welcome.

Try to find a Factory Service manual (FSM) that will serve you much better than Chiltons. Sounds like you are on the right path with what you have done...congrats. If the oil leak is from the rear main seal, try a search here for a TON of info, depending on how bad it leaks...it may be able to wait.
As far as the fuel injection cleaner.....snake oil...pure and simple. There are enough detergents in normal gas to keep it all clean, you could clean the TB if you want...again search here for a ton of info on that also.

By reading this site you will find answers to just about every question you can come up with.

Rev

Here's a gimme - but I've covered this before...

For the oil sump gasket, you can do the job without pulling the engine or the front axle. You'll probably need to jack up the front end and let the front axle droop to get room to slip the oil sump out toward the back, but I've done it.

Use a 1996-up oil sump gasket, since it's one-piece moulded rubber and you don't have to wrestle with the thing so much. The small 1/4" bolts get torqued to 7 pound-feet or 84 pound-inches (USE A TORQUE WRENCH!!) and the larger 5/16" bolts in the corners get tightened to 11 pound-feet/132 pound-inches (USE A TORQUE WRENCH!!)

The Chilton's is rather better than the Haynes, but I can dig up a 1992 FSM if you need something clarified some more...

5-90

thanks for the help I searched for oil pan pan leak with no hits. I guess calling it a sump would have helped. I do not think it is a rear seal, since it looks like chocolate pudding from the front of the engine working back.. What are good jack points? Also is there anything else in the oil pan I should look at if I have it off?

As for the injectors and intake there was abvout a 16th inch of crap in the inside of the intake and the throttle body. Not to mention in the heads. The emissions guy said it was not liquid mechanic, but they actually hook the top end to a machine and flush it. If it is a waste then I will write it off. FYI The exhaust side looked greyish, which I expected since it was lean from the cracked manifold.

I need to do the oil pan gasket& rear main on my 90 XJ. So the rear main is a 2 piece? Also which oil pan gasket should I use? Somebody told me the newer year gaskets work better. Can I get to the rear main w/o pulling the trans if I have a manual?

5-90-What if I don't have said torque wrench?

"Sump" would probably have just given you hits for me - I'm probably the only person here who calls it that (short of our English brethren - that's where I picked up the habit. Watching a British film on engines in class, I was the only one who knew what a "Gudgeon Pin" was as well...)

You should not be collecting crap in the intake, since there is no EGR valve. And, if you are seeing a "chocolate shake" look to your oil, you're probably getting water in there somehow. You're too early to have the "0331 Head Cracking" problem - I'd start suspecting a head gasket, myself. I don't suppose you have a compression tester handy, have you?

5-90

no compression tester, and the radiator and the oil do not have the froth that would lead me to a head gasket. I must say that after putting the new exhaust I got steam and water coming out of it. I did not have that steam this morning when I started it to go to the emissions test. I will have to drop the sume and change the gasket. I just want to not put cardboard under it. The intake, heads and throttle body looked like someone ran it without a air filter. It is a phenominal omount of crap in there. I was afraid to mess with it, and break it loose and send it htrough the motor.

Back