• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

removing doors?

blazinjames

NAXJA Forum User
Ok i need to remove doors on my XJ and have been told its pretty easy to punch the pin out of the hinges??

Im wondering how u manage to do this in the limited space? it looks like its hard to hammer the pin out with the limited space? what size punch do i need to take the pin out?

and what do i use to replace the pin once I put the door back in?

thanks

1) Pull the fenders
2) unbolt the hinges
3) cut the bottom section of hinge that on side that attaches to the door.
1508536209_ac1fa72d0d.jpg

5) Once cut, hammer fender side hinge down until it sepreates from the pin
6) Mount hinge back on with bolts, or if hinge is tearing away from fender like a can of tuna, weld it back on like yeh, and prep the metal for rust unlike me...
1508535563_0c6308b761.jpg

7) mount fender
8) lube pins with 3-1 oil/ WD/etc. and slide doors on
1509391706_de5c3c4fa0.jpg

9) latch somehow
1508534077_1edba3f9d9.jpg

10) Enjoy!
1446769152_4f6d825899_o.jpg

These pictures are down. Can anyone tell me the best way to get the pins out of the hinges? I have my doors off, the both parts of the hinges are still on the jeep but I can't seem to get the pin out. I figured they would just pop out like a house door hinge but clearly I was wrong...can they just be popped out with a hammer from the bottom?
PS...The pins are shot, that's why I need to replace them, my drivers side door was sagging.

Last edited:
You have to cut the hinges first. I took the hinges off and then cut them, which you probably already know how to do. Then the pins tap out much more easily. If I could do it over, I would cut the hinges without unbolting them. It's possible if you have a smaller grinder or a dremel. Maybe some have gotten them realigned correctly after taking the bolts out but I have two doors that just don't close as smoothly as they used to, no matter how much I fiddle with them.

Cut the bottom part of the hinge and tap that off. Spray some PB or WD-40 and use a hi-lift with a block of wood in between the door and the jack and slowly jack it up. You'll probably need someone to hold onto the door while jacking it up. Make sure to check your local laws allow you to drive without doors. I did it for my '87 and Moparmaniac's '91 and he was pulled over for the doorlessness of his heep.

Thanks guys but I want to keep the doors on in the end. My main goal here was to replace the worn pins as they give way too much and my door is sagging. I have the door off and the both parts of the hinge is still on the jeep with the worn pin inside. Is there no good way to get the pin out without cutting the hinge? I can't believe that when pins wear out there isn't some way to replace them without cutting the whole hinge off and rewelding it on (which I'm not even going to get into because I don't weld and I'd never line them up right again anyway). I suppose I could drill them out as a last resort but that would suck....:bawl:

Drill a hole through the hinge and into the door and use them as guide holes for when you line up the doors again.

I think you can replace the pins with new ones, they're just roll pins. (Mine were in my '87)

I did this mod about a year ago and I leave my doors on 98% of the time (it's my DD and a work truck). So, don't be afraid that cutting the bottom part of the hinges is going to force you to have to leave your doors off. They will work fine once you replace the hinge-pin. Just cut off the bottom of the hinge, pull the pin, replace it, and you're good to go. Then if you're feeling wild sometime down the road, you still have the option to pull the doors off. You may never pull them off, but this is still a ton easier and cheaper than drilling out the hinge pin.

When you replace the pins don't forget about the sleeve's inside the hinge as well. Sometimes they get worn out causing extra play in the hinges also.

Thanks everyone and for the links. I ended up using a very thin cutting blade on a dremel and was able to cut the pins between the top and bottom part of the hinges leaving the full hinge in fairly intact. As I will not be taking the doors off again I thought it would be better strength wise to leave the bottom of the hinge on if possible. There was no sleeve, the pin was just a hollow tube with a seam the length of it probably there for when it's pressed into the hinge when it's put together. Now I'll just drill the old pins out of the two holed part of the hinge on the drill press, ream the part of the hinge still on the jeep to the right size and get a couple of good bolts to use as new pins. Lining up the door should be a blast :confused1

Last edited:
Back