• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine Serial number ID

Dreamer

NAXJA Forum User
I have a donor engine and do not know what year. I have the serial number off the drivers side block, is there a database or a search that I can do to find the year just by the cast serial numbers on the block?

Thanks!

Post the casting number and date code, and there are quite a few of us here who can sort it out for you (let me dig up my notes...)

I've been wanting to write a page for casting number decoding, I just haven't gotten around to it yet (I'll be at least another week on these damn torque charts...)

5-90

Kyung, that is a very helpful site thanks.

Just so I do not make any mistakes though I am going to post the numbers.

Drivers side in the cast is 53010449Aa

Passengers side above and behind the mount under the valve cover is XL540935 (not sure what this one is actually)

Thanks for the help guys.

Dreamer said:
Kyung, that is a very helpful site thanks.

Just so I do not make any mistakes though I am going to post the numbers.

Drivers side in the cast is 53010449Aa

Passengers side above and behind the mount under the valve cover is XL540935 (not sure what this one is actually)

Thanks for the help guys.
Looks like a 2000+ block. Do you have the whole engine or just the block? If you have the whole engine, the head casting # should be 0331 which should have bosses on the passenger's side for the coil packs (no more distributor on 2000+ 4.0s).

Kyung

corbinafly said:
Looks like a 2000+ block. Do you have the whole engine or just the block? If you have the whole engine, the head casting # should be 0331 which should have bosses on the passenger's side for the coil packs (no more distributor on 2000+ 4.0s).

Kyung
I have the whole engine, but I got it from a guy that did not have the history on it. The thing is it has a distributor not coil packs, any suggestions?

Got the Valve cover off today and down between the rockers ther is a number 98 in the casting, is this the date. If this is the date and the block casting has 2000-2001 numbers, why the descrepincies?

Thanks!

The casting # for the head is just below the valve cover on the driver's side I think. It's been a while since I looked.
If it's not a 0331 head then it was probably swapped at some point. The 0331 head is known to crack after about 60k miles anyways and doesn't flow as well as the 7120 or 0630.

Kyung

Just checked it is a 0630. In inspecting this thing is there anything particular I need to check for. Suggestions, what would you replace before I swap this out. This is my first engine swap so it is a bit daunting knowing exactly what I should do before the swap to the donor engine. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

What is it going into?

Kyung

It is going into my '90XJ. The Renix that is currently in there has over 200,000 miles and I have electrical gremlins that keep resurfacing.

For the donor I have a complete wiring harness, Computer control module and tranny (although I may not swap the tranny).

Since I am doing this what all would I need to make this an open cooling system rather than a closed one? Preferably without buying a new radiator since the one that is in it now is only about 2 years old.

Check that it has the mouting hole for the knock sensor on the drivers side of the block down by the engine mount. You will need it on a Renix.

old_man said:
Check that it has the mouting hole for the knock sensor on the drivers side of the block down by the engine mount. You will need it on a Renix.
Not if he's using the complete harness and ecm from the donor H.O. motor. I think it's still going to be a pain to make all the guages work and stuff, and he'll need a vss signal for the H.O. ecm.

Then again it might not be that hard after all. I'm sure there are other here that have done that swap that may chime in. Anyone??

Kyung

You lost me on the vss signal????

And that is the funny thing I have asked so many differnt people if they have heard of this swap and everyone said they would just take the block and swap it or else you will need a complete wiring harness and ecm. Well that iss the funny thing I have all of this and I do not see why it would not work.

If anyone has done this, yes, please chime in.

The VSS (vehicle speed sensor) signal is used by the ecm on H.O. motors. People are doing this all the time but you need the right guidance. Ask questions here:
http://www.hesco.us/forum/
Or just give them a call and ask for Bennie or Lee. They'll tell you what you need to do to make it work. They know their stuff.

Kyung

Dreamer said:
Just checked it is a 0630. In inspecting this thing is there anything particular I need to check for. Suggestions, what would you replace before I swap this out. This is my first engine swap so it is a bit daunting knowing exactly what I should do before the swap to the donor engine. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

The 53010449AA block was used in the 4.0 XJ from '00-'01 and the 0630 head casting was used on all 4.0's from '96-'99, so it looks like the original '00+ engine may have suffered a cracked head (the 0331 head casting is notorious for cracking) and the previous owner swapped an earlier head onto it. What you have now is a very good combination.

Back