• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dies wont restart

jamrs clough

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 1993 jeep cherokee xj auto 6 cly my problem is this after running for 10 or 15 min it dies and wont restart no spark no fuel ( i installed noid lamp in injector conn and zip) but leave it sit over night or for several hrs and it will fire right up. i just installed a new crank shaft pos sensor and it still does the same thing . i also swaped the shut down relay with good one same result any good ideas i need help

The next time you go to crank it pull off your valve cover first. Then start it

Replace the part that is shooting oil everywear...

I work mainly on diesel engines and on a diesel sounds like a crossover tube.
Starts fine initially then once it warms up it allows oil pressure to escape through a crack not allowing it to start until it cools down again.

jamrs clough said:
i have a 1993 jeep cherokee xj auto 6 cly my problem is this after running for 10 or 15 min it dies and wont restart no spark no fuel ( i installed noid lamp in injector conn and zip) but leave it sit over night or for several hrs and it will fire right up. i just installed a new crank shaft pos sensor and it still does the same thing . i also swaped the shut down relay with good one same result any good ideas i need help
Check the other CPS. The Cam Position Sensor and look at the other distributor components while in there/cap, rotor etc....
BTW XJStryker the 4.0 is not a diesel.

We had a car that did the same thing and it was a vapor lock issue.I kept a wrench in the car to depressurize the injector lines and it would fire up and drive again.

Also check your coil. Sounds like when it gets hot, some circuit opens (or shorts) and it dies. Once it cools, the problem goes away until it heats again.

Back