• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

head bolt torque

cowboyb65

NAXJA Member #1201
help i lost or missplaced my jeep book . im putting a new head on the old girl its a 88 jeep limited with a 4.0 strait 6 cyl. i need the head bolt torque lbs if anyone can let me know it would be great thanks guys

Working in a spiral pattern from the centre outwards, torque all EXCEPT the driver's side front to 100 pound-feet with "clean, dry" threads. The driver's side front bolt extends into the water jacket - coat the threads with Teflon paste, LocTite PST, or something similar and torque to 100 pound-feet.

Although the manual does not say to, I have the habit of torquing in three steps - 40 pound-feet through the pattern, then 80 pound-feet, and then to final torque spec. I learned that years ago, and never "unlearned" it, and I haven't had any trouble doing that since. Even on Jeep engines. I consider it a good habit...

5-90

Edit - Before I manage to forget, check your bolts for "paint marks" on the heads. If they don't have marks, mark them! If they do have marks, throw them away and buy new! AMC242 head screws can only be tightened to full torque twice - they're a modification of the "torque to yield" screws used originally on Diesels. Snapping a head screw really sucks...

5-90

Last edited:
thanks i couldnot remember if it was 95 ,, 100,,, or 110 ft lbs thanks a bunch

jneary said:
all bolts should be 110 foot pounds not 100, except for the front left where the water jacket runs theogh. that one is 100 foot pounds

Bugger - thanks. I've been looking at torque specs all week while I'm encoding them into HTML (yes, I do verify after coding!) for my website. You are correct - 110 pound-feet for all EXCEPT the driver's front, which goes to 100 pound-feet and coat the threads with Teflon paste.

5-90

Back