• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help fast!!!

CV95XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Im having a mechanic put my 4.56's into my stock axles (hp30 and chryco 8.25) the front is done and I have already put it back on, and the rear was supposed to be done today, just got a call and the guy said he can't get the axle shafts to slide all the way in they are about a quarter inch from sliding all the way in. What would cause that? ???

I got a new carrier for the front but Rawbrown, (who I bought the gears from said i didn't need a new carrier for the rear. is that right or if I got a new rear carrier would that solve the problem? I need help on this fast because school starts pretty soon and I need this thing drivable ASAP.

WTF is he doing the gears for then?
He needs to rotate the shaft as he's inserting it into the carrier so the splines will slip together.
Or maybe he left the cross shaft in the carrier.

yeah, the cross shaft is about 1/4" wide, maybe he put it back in on accident. what is it hitting on? maybe the guy setting them up is just a tard, i mean if they have 1/4" left to go, then they are already in the housing, so nothing is wrong there, but yeah, its hard to trouble shoot without seeing it i guess.

CV95XJ said:
I got a new carrier for the front but Rawbrown, (who I bought the gears from said i didn't need a new carrier for the rear. is that right or if I got a new rear carrier would that solve the problem?
There's no carrier break for the 8.25, so that's not your problem.

Did you put in new axle bearings? If so make sure they are pressed all the way in untill they stop.

If the axles are slipping all the way in through the side gears, then the axle brgs. are the only thing I can think of.

53guy said:
yeah, the cross shaft is about 1/4" wide, maybe he put it back in on accident. what is it hitting on? maybe the guy setting them up is just a tard, i mean if they have 1/4" left to go, then they are already in the housing, so nothing is wrong there, but yeah, its hard to trouble shoot without seeing it i guess.
Thanks, but isn't it possible that if the guy can't figure out how to put the axle back together, he could also not know the difference between 1/2" and 1"?

very true. hell, depending on where he's judging from, it could be inches.

Do a search on 4.56 and the 8.25. Just recently saw a thread where the
technician had to grind 3 teeth on the ring gear to install. Other people were
chiming in and the consensus was that had to be done for the 8.25 and 4.56
combo.

hey don't diss on the mechanic, he usually works at a chevy dealer so Im sure doing these chrysler axles is kinda foreign to him but he did a great job on the front. I'll search for the 8.25/ 4.56 combo and see what comes up and thanks for the other suggestions, I'll run all of the ideas by him tommorrow and see what I can find out. all the help is appreciated.

Ive never been in an 8.25 but have setup a couple diffs and had axles and spiders out a few times.
My guess would be that the spiders arent seated correctly and are a little cockeyed.
My second guess would be the bearings arent completely seated if you had new axle bearings installed.

hey Lodi jim, can you find that thread you were talking about because I just searched for 3 hours and couldn't find anything like that? I spoke with the mechanic and he said that could very well be the problem, but I would like to read a little bit more on it or even see some pics before I go and grind 3 gears out.

If any one can find this thread for me it would be greatly appreciated.

Grinding the gears down is to make it possible to get the crosspin in. The ring gear for 4.56 is so think that it blocks part of the hole for the crossbar. I cant think that would have an effect on how far the axles go in unless he has the pin in cockeyed. If that was the case he would know why the axles wont go in.

He should only need to grind on two teeth.
The location and amount of tooth that is ground off, is non-critical to the proper function of the gear set.
But seriously, what really is the problem?
Can he at least tell you that?
It's all pretty straight forward stuff.....

Hey Guys, I am computer illiterate here, do not know how to post a link. But if you look in OEM Tech for "Chipped Tooth? Gear Pics" you will get some info about grinding down ring gear teeth to run 4.56 in the 8.25. That post is two days old.
HTH

Back