• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2x4 to 4x4 Conversion (Need Help on Parts Check and Advice)

smokeman

NAXJA Forum User
To All,
I am about to embark on converting my 2wd to 4wd and I need help to ensure I have everything I need to make the switch. The specs on my Jeep are as follows:
1996 Jeep Cherokee Country
AW4 2wd
D35 3.55 rear
Below are the list of parts I am about to get for the conversion. I also have a pic of the tranny and transfer case so if you see anything missing, please speak up.
1. 1997 AW4 Transmission and NP 242 Transfer Case (97 TCU, Trans shifter bezel, handle, and cable included)
trannytransfercasero7.png

transfercaseidtm1.png

trannybezelandcablezf3.png

2. Front driveshaft for said transfer case.
3. D30 3.55 front axle with brake assemblies still attached. Missing one ujoint strap.
What I don't have.
1. Rear driveshaft for the NP242 and D35.
2. 4wd shifter handle and bezel.
3. Longer speedo gear for the 4wd tranny/transfer case.
Now for some questions.
1. Any suggestions for the parts I do not have? junkyard, online somewhere, etc...
2. Looking at the pic of the transfer case, I can see cables attached directly to the transfer case. Besides the shifter handle and bezel, am I missing anything else? (cables, linkage, etc...)
3. Can I reuse my tranny's shifter cable, handle, and bezel or do I need to use the 97 one in the pic?
4. Anybody got some underneath pics of the linkage assembly for the 4wd shifter for location/attachment reference?
5. Will I need the TCU and harness from the 97 tranny or will mine work as is?
6. Is there anything I am missing or any compatibility issues with using the 97 parts in my 96?
7. Any suggestion on any restoration work I should do to these parts while there sitting in the garage?
8. There use to be a writeup on this conversion at xjfanatic.com, but its gone now. Anyone know where it went or if there's another writeup out there? If not, any tips or tricks would be welcome.
I will have some pics of the front end tomorrow that I will add to this post for verification.
Thanks

I appreciate it. I have a Jeep only junkie around here that I am going to give a shot. Unfortunately, they are not a u-pull and are proud of there junkyard parts. I once priced an electric fan for my XJ there and they wanted $75. I can get that same fan new for $65 shipped. Anyway, if that doesn't work out, I may take you up on your offer.

Thanks guys. Do you know whether my TCU in my 2wd will work with the 4wd AW4? I am getting the one from the 97 if needed, but if there compatible, that's one less thing that could go wrong.

I know the tcu is located in a diffrent location on the vehicle for a 97 and 96, so they may not be compatible.

smokeman said:
Thanks guys. Do you know whether my TCU in my 2wd will work with the 4wd AW4? I am getting the one from the 97 if needed, but if there compatible, that's one less thing that could go wrong.

I have looked at the TCU wiring schematic for a 95 (which I believe is the same as a 96)
and compared it to a 97 TCU schematic...they are different... I think you are going to need the TCU from the 97 and the wiring harness...the 97 TCU has an extra wire going to the Range Sensor Switch assembly for the 3rd gear position...not sure what else is different...

Hope I'm not hijacking your thread (I am...) but I was wondering some of the same things. I've been told (by someone who has no real Jeep experience) that the only difference between the 2wd and 4wd AW4s is the tailshaft/housing. Again, according to this "expert" all one would need to do to the transmission is take off the tailshaft and bolt up the Tcase. This sounds WAY too good to be true. Anyone out there with some real experience on this? BTW, this is all on a '99 XJ with the 4.0. Thanks!

-alopeks

Last edited:
the biggest problem with a 2wd to 4wd drive conversion is the fact that the output shaft of a 2wd transmission is different than one from a 4wd transmission. if you open the transmission and swap the output shaft, THEN it would be pretty much a bolt on change (not counting shifter linkage/crossmember mount). the most common, and imho easiest, way is to simply swap a 4wd transmission/t-case unit.

Smokeman,
Have you found out anything else on this subject? Just got the go ahead from my wife to "have at the ol 99XJ" and I too am looking for info.

i just got done doing a swap with a 97 using 89 parts. did not have to swap the tcu or any computer at that. i did have to swap the throttle cable going to the tranny and one solenoid in the tranny, not a big deal since i was changing the transmission filter and oil anyways. pretty easy bolt up tho, did mine by myself in about 2 days with minimal tools. be sure to install the linkage in right, made that mistake and 2HI was 4LO, i didn't know what the hell i had done.

I did a 96 2wd to 4wd swap last year and I just swapped in the 4x4 AW4 into it. And used the TCM that was in the Jeep...... it worked fine. The only hang up that I remember was that the speedo wire harness was to short to make it to the new location in the transfercase, but I did find one at a pick-n-pull to bridge the gap.... or you could just splice it. But everything else was just plug and play.
-Chris

And get a tranny jack..... because after 10 times of lifting the AW4 into place laying on my back was enough to almost push me over the edge and go postal :)
Unless you have a hoist in your garage, and, well then I hate you.

Back