• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

horn location

redneck1939

NAXJA Forum User
i have an 89 xj and cant find the horn where is it? my horn also doesnt work any idea on how to get it to work? so far i check the fuse and the ground under the button but no luck. thanks

The horns ground to the frame through the brackets they mount on, the one wire lead is power. Put a test light on the wire lead, have someone depress the horn on the steering wheel. I'm guessing you don't have power there, since neither of them work. There is a fuse for the horn, I don't recall which block it's in, I think it's the one under the dash by the driver's feet. It will be labeled, check the fuse. It's probably as simple as a bad fuse.

Your horns could be full of crap, like mudd an stuff.... Just hook up a hot wire to the battery, remove wire from back of horn an test with your hot wire you made.....Then like fubar said test your stock wire for power

ok well the horn works cause i did a hot to it the horn and it worked but now i need to find out why power isnt going from the the button to the horn any suggestions?

Last edited:
Did you check the horn relay? It should be mounted above your fuse panel. Has three wires going to it. 1 grey, 1 grey-red, and 1 brown. Chances are your relay has gone bad. Should be able to pick one up for $10 or so. HTH.

Yep.. auto parts store carrys a horn button kit.. There is a bunch of relays by your battery on passanger fender, check there too or is it the drivers fender? i'll have to look at mine

I put a horn button on my CJ years ago, simple as Hell. In-line fuse on 10 gauge power wire from batt to horn button, new 12 gauge wire to a split, one 12 or 14 gauge wire down to each horn. Make sure the ground at the horn brackets is good. Route your wires carefully, tuck them up and zip-tie them as necessary. Shouldn't take more than a couple of hours.

You can buy all of that stuff off the shelf at NAPA or Schucks for $15-20.

redneck1939 said:
i just but it in and horn works great now
Just put what in, a horn button kit? Did you use the stock horns?

Back