• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is this relay for

4WDXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Dear members:
This is my first post, can someone tell me what is relay in the distribution center with the following info for:
SIEMENS
VF4-15F21-Z05
04848879AA
72472M
Colour of relay is turquaz
the car is 99 XJ.
I appreciate your help. Thank you.

That is a generic part number for a relay. You need to post a picture of where it goes. From that we can tell you.

On US model XJ's the functions of the relays are mapped on the lid of the distribution center. If yours is missing the lid or the print is not readable, it would help to know what position the relay is in.

My 99 has only black relays, with two blank spaces for daytime running lights and ABS.

This help any?

PDC20001.jpg

I 'd like to know what the fuses in the A block are for. That isn't explained in the lid. Also the cover to my fuse block doesnt have any thing to tell which fuse number is what. My repair manual isnt the greatest either. Is there a diagram like that for the fuse block. Is that from a OEM service manual. It does get a little frustrating trying to locate a fuse. Robt.

The best place to find fuse and relay locations is in the owner's manual. I had 2 different diagrams in my 90 FSM and the owners manual was correct.

If you don't have the owner's manual, one can often be had on ebay for $5 to $15.

On my 00 XJ the owners manual doesnt tell you it says look on the fuse cover.There isnt anything on the fuse cover. Ha! Sombody screwed up. I remember reading a post about that. Fortunately I found a post in the search that Identified the fuses. Makes it a lot easier to find them. If I can figure out how to post it Ill look for it. Robt.

The PDC in a 99 is slightly different from the one posted by Langer.

If you look at the diagram he posted, and see the relays arranged into three rows, here is the arrangement - the top two rows have two relays each, and only the bottom has 4.

[starter]..... [fuel pump]
[radiator fan]... [automatic shutdown]
[a/c clutch]...[fog lamp 1]...[DRL/fog2]...[ABS]

the fuse panel looks the same.

On a Jeep equipped with fog lamps but no daytime running lights, the DRL/foglamp 2 relay is absent. And the anti lock brake relay is absent if one has conventional brakes.

The diagram on the cover, if you have one, is a map which can be read by laying the cover next to the PDC.

Matthew Currie said:
The PDC in a 99 is slightly different from the one posted by Langer.

If you look at the diagram he posted, and see the relays arranged into three rows, here is the arrangement - the top two rows have two relays each, and only the bottom has 4.

[starter]..... [fuel pump]
[radiator fan]... [automatic shutdown]
[a/c clutch]...[fog lamp 1]...[DRL/fog2]...[ABS]

the fuse panel looks the same.

On a Jeep equipped with fog lamps but no daytime running lights, the DRL/foglamp 2 relay is absent. And the anti lock brake relay is absent if one has conventional brakes.

The diagram on the cover, if you have one, is a map which can be read by laying the cover next to the PDC.

The '96 has a relay panel under the driver's dash in addition to the relays under the hood in the PDC. Unlike the ones under the hood, some of them are colored (though I don't remember a turquoise one) and arranged like so:

|.*...K...*....*...H...*....*.F.*...*.D.*....*.B.*.|
|.*........*....*........*....*....*....*....*....*...*..|
|.********.....********.....****.....****.....*****.|
|..........................................................|
|.*...J...*....*...G...*....*.E.*...*.C.*....*.A.*.|
|..........................................................|

Where
A= door lock relay
B= door unlock relay
C= LCD illumination relay
F= horn relay
H= rear defogger relay
J= combination flasher

D, E and G are not wired.

Do the '97 up have a similar panel?

Last edited:
robt46 said:
I 'd like to know what the fuses in the A block are for. That isn't explained in the lid. Also the cover to my fuse block doesnt have any thing to tell which fuse number is what. My repair manual isnt the greatest either. Is there a diagram like that for the fuse block. Is that from a OEM service manual. It does get a little frustrating trying to locate a fuse. Robt.

In the owner's manual, there is a list of the fuses in the interior fuse panel, if that is what you mean. There are 27 fuses, arranged in two vertical columns. the top left is number 1, bottom left 14, the top right is 15, bottom right 27.

1=power outlet
2=cig. lighter
3=left headlight high beam
4=left "" low beam
5=right "" low beam
6=instrument panel dimmer
7=left parking light
8=empty
10=headlight delay and overhead console cluster
11=run/start ignition, DRL
12=rear defrost,turn sighal, hazard flasher
13=empty
14=heated mirrors
15=power door locks
16=right headlight high beam
17=radio
18=empty
19=starter relay
20=trailer tow package
21=horn relay
22=rear wiper
23=right parking light
24=empty.

The A block in the PDC contains 27 fuses. The identification of these requires a little stroll through the wiring diagrams, which can be tedious in the 99 FSM, but here's what I find without too much searching for circuit destinations:

1 is empty; 2 and 3 to ignition switch; 4 to junction block;5 to radiator fan relay in PDC;6 to HVAC unit;7 toDRL module and headlight switch; 8 is empty; 9 to AC compressor clutch relay and to fuse 27 in PDC;10 to starter relay in PDC;11 to junction block; 12 and 13 to ABS controller; 14 and 15 empty; 16 to S135; 17 to headlight switch and data link connector; 18 empty; 19 to ASD relay in PDC; 20 to Combination flasher;21 not identified; 22 to fuel pump relay in PDC and to C107; 23 to brake lamp switch; 24 not identified; 25 to fog lamp relay 1 in PDC;26 to power amplifier; 27 not identified.

fuses listed as "to junction block" are basically master fuses that feed groups of fuses in the inside fuse panel.

How many different types, or sizes, of relays are in the pdc? I know some are interchangable, but don't know if they all are.

I have a big baggie full of relays I've pulled at the U-Wreck-it yards over the years, but except for one cooling fan relay I haven't needed to replace any yet. (Knock on wood!)

And I have the relay mentioned in the start of this post on my '01. It is the one for the ASD, but it also fits on the fan relay plug.

Fish'nCarz said:
How many different types, or sizes, of relays are in the pdc? I know some are interchangable, but don't know if they all are.

I have a big baggie full of relays I've pulled at the U-Wreck-it yards over the years, but except for one cooling fan relay I haven't needed to replace any yet. (Knock on wood!)

And I have the relay mentioned in the start of this post on my '01. It is the one for the ASD, but it also fits on the fan relay plug.

In a 99 there are two different sizes, "standard" ISO and "micro" ISO. The standard ones are all interchangeable, and as far as I know they are interchangeable with all similar relays from all years that have that type, both Jeep and others. They have been standardized for many years.

Matthew Currie said:
In a 99 there are two different sizes, "standard" ISO and "micro" ISO. The standard ones are all interchangeable, and as far as I know they are interchangeable with all similar relays from all years that have that type, both Jeep and others. They have been standardized for many years.

Sweet!

Is the rear defogger relay different than a standard relay? I was looking for one online, and they're around $45. I found one at Pull-n-Save (for free) labeled as a "smart relay." It's bright red.

Steve

Hi:

On my reply # 5, I goofed up, I should say that Langer diagram is not excactly the type of mine, my PDC looks different, but waht Matthew explained in his post# 9 is just describes my PDC, I gues the relay I was talking about is the RADIATOR FAN.
I would like to know how to upload a pic from my PC, maybe that will be a lot better to identify the relay.

SteveT said:
Is the rear defogger relay different than a standard relay? I was looking for one online, and they're around $45. I found one at Pull-n-Save (for free) labeled as a "smart relay." It's bright red.

Steve
It's possable that it contains the timing circut. I'm not shure on that, but is my best guess as to why it would be so much.

SteveT said:

Steve

Yes, the red rear defogger relay is completely different, and usually has a little warning label on it to tell you, in addition to being colored red. It's a toggling relay with a timer inside. It's actually pretty clever, and I used one some time ago in a homemade remote control yard light. The defogger switch is a momentary contact switch, and when it energizes the relay, it toggles to whatever state it was not already in. Hit it once, it goes on, hit it again, it goes off, etc. In addition, it has a timer that automatically shuts it off after 10 minutes.

Thanks to Matthew and lilredwagon (very nice ASCII art):compwork: !

Is that relay all I should need to add a defog window to my '96? I've already put in replacement glass, and a factory switch, and hooked up the wiring.

Steve

Back