• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

overheated now runs bad

projectTK

NAXJA Forum User
Ill tell u the whole story. My dad got his crossfire stuck down the road off a slope into a field. He fires my 89xj up at 5am in a ice storm. Trys to pull her out and he notices it is loosing coolant so he drives her 1/4mile home. He puts coolant it. Then i start it out the next day to help him pull it out again. So start er up. Drive over pull him out in two seconds. Drive back to my house as i pull in the drive way. My aftermarket gauge is reading 230 TO 240. i shut it off then coolant is flowing out of my engine bay. Pop the hood and my coolant bottle has a hole in the side i guess it cracked. Then i had to pull my dad truck out of the snow in our yard. Ran kind of funny and misfired. Then a week later after i bought a brand new coolant bottle off ebay installed it filled her up. Took the jeep through the woods. The temp was normal but it just didnt run right. It idles like it has a big cam then it will suddenly have a higher idle 2500rpm. U give it part throttle it will stutter and misfire. U give it some gas it will rev and run fine.

So where do i start? All i can guess is check if the electrodes on the spark plugs melted or maybe coolant drip on the distributor cap. I dont know. What u guys think?

You're definately missin on at least one or two cylinders. Check your head gasket and intake/exhaust gasket and make sure they didn't get burnt up. Hate to scare ya but when I overheated my XJ I ended up w/a new motor after trashin the number five cylinder...

Alright started up today and added a little coolant. Drove threw the woods and down the rode and it runs good now. I dont know it must of bin its time of the month. Anyway i drive it down the road and the aftermarket gauge used to show 190degrees. Now it shows sitting at idle 210degrees with the electric fan on. I dont have a manual fan. Is that too high degrees for idle. I guess what im asking what is the degrees that is harmful to cooling system or what does ur jeeps read at?

Back