• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ATF+4 vs. DexronIII

mrtosh

NAXJA Forum User
K not to !!!1 but I just recently bought a '98 XJ classic w/the AW4 and am looking to do the poor man's flush and was going to run Dexron III, but have heard from a few people at tranny shops and the dealership that are saying to run the ATF+4. One of my friends' a jeep maniac and has had numerous Jeeps said he ran Dexron and it started to slip. Said he never runs anything but ATF+4. I'm not looking to start another debate, but just wondering is ATF+4 necessary, or should I run w/the Dexron III? Is there a prefered brand everybody is running?

Thanks in advance guys. This forum is awesome!

DexronIII is whats recomended for all the aw4 transmitions, Even the stealership says to run it. hope that helps.

See I called the stealership today and they recommended ATF+4, I'm guessing they're going by the alldata that currently states to use the ATF+4.... The ATF+4 just has some more friction modifiers, right?

The AW4 is NOT A CHRYSLER tranny. You need DexIII, I use Valvoline MaxLife in mine, no problems.

I work at a dealership, and we don't go by alldata. We are going by the TSB's (technical service bulletins) that chrysler puts out. They now recommend ATF+4 in the AW4. This is what I run in mine.

I just looked it up on our dealer connect and it says:

NOTE: **AW-4 (Asian Warner) transmissions are now included in this Service​

Bulletin. ATF+4® is recommended for AW-4 (Asian Warner) transmissions**
That is from Chrysler themselves. Hope this helps.

PinkPig...I'm glad you quoted that. ATF+4 was just put into mine and I called the mechanic back and told him of the raging debate. There are people who will really "call you out" on this and swear that ATF will ruin your tranny.
My mechanic looked it up in whatever reference he uses and said DexIII was what should be in there. He has offered to flush and refill my AW4 with ATF+4. I really don't know what to do.
On the other hand, mine's a 99, I've had it less than a year, how do I know it hasn't had ATF in there all along?
What to do?

ATF4 is call for only because it is supposed to supercede everything, Kinda like mercon V in a ford tranny. Hell you probably could run mercon V. I run Dex3 it is what is called for. It used to be an option between ATF+3 and DEX/MERC3. but once again +3 was superceded by +4

ATF4 and Mercon/DEX3 will both work just fine in an AW4, you might se it slip a little bit with ATF4 but not much if any.

the cynical side of me also knows that they are now calling for ATF4 in everything because it cost 6bucks a quart instead of 2... not because DEX3 suddenly doesnt work in an AW4 after 20 years

wolfpackjeeper said:
the cynical side of me also knows that they are now calling for ATF4 in everything because it cost 6bucks a quart instead of 2... not because DEX3 suddenly doesnt work in an AW4 after 20 years
X2
I don't care what Chrysler says, the AW4 is not made by them so I will go by what Asian Warner says to use, which is Dex.

What brand is everybody running? I know the maxlife is supposed to work for everything(DexII, DexIII, ATF+3, ATF+4), but don't like the extra additives they put in there...

I'd also like to know what the majority is running, because i'll probably run the same in the transfer case. Currently the most run Mobile 1 atf, I've also heard this improves shifting in the tcase... subscrbed jus to hear what ppl say

Brian

I cant believe another tranny fluid thread has been started...

I'm praying that the moderator Gods will delete this one...

JNickel101 said:
I cant believe another tranny fluid thread has been started...

I'm praying that the moderator Gods will delete this one...

Why do people get so upset about these posts? If you don't want to read them, don't click them.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=937773

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=928571

Thats why. Its been discussed and people would get a lot more/better info if they would search and read. And because I'm grumpy when I wake up and I like to b*tch and complain - especially when someone says "I know this has been beat to death, but i'm going to ask anyway because...."

The only thing that's worse is the "which is the best oil" threads :)

EDIT: I'm not meaning to slam on you personally mrtosh - but anyway, as for which fluid - I like AMSOIL TorqueDrive ATF.

JNickel101 said:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=937773

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=928571

Thats why. Its been discussed and people would get a lot more/better info if they would search and read. And because I'm grumpy when I wake up and I like to b*tch and complain - especially when someone says "I know this has been beat to death, but i'm going to ask anyway because...."

The only thing that's worse is the "which is the best oil" threads :)

EDIT: I'm not meaning to slam on you personally mrtosh - but anyway, as for which fluid - I like AMSOIL TorqueDrive ATF.

So what oil do you use???????????

Now you're just being a smartass....

Just ordered AMSOIL 10w40 (AMO)

Fram oil filters SUCK !!!!

Bwaaaaahahahahaa!!!! :party:

hasta hasta hasta hasta

lol, killin me, give me a proper way to do the poor mans flush, and I'll be using dex III, although I may switch to mobil in the tcase. who knows

Back