• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adding a rear Power Door Lock Switch

jimmydaux

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone tried to add a switch to control the doorlocks from the back hatch? Suburbans and tahoes have them in some years, and it seems like it would be nice to have. If youre locking up but have to get something out of the back, you either have to power lock everything, then unlock the hatch, then lock the hatch, or get whatever you need from the back and go back up to lock the rig up with the power lock button. It would be so convenient to be able to lock/unlock the rest of the door from just inside the rear hatch. Would I have to run the wires all the way up to the door switches to make it work, or could I tap into the system at the rear hatch actuator? I know that when Ive installed keyless entry systems in the past, some locks use a negative (-) feed rather than a (+) positive feed to trigger the mechanism. If theres any of you door lock/electronics gurus out there, I wouldnt mind your input.

Hey I did some playing with the wiring on the lock actuators. There are two wires that feed the actuators. An orange with a black stripe, and a pink with a white stripe. If I jumper the pink wire directly to ground it unlocks the door. So half way there. Doing it the other way, jumping the orange/black wire to ground does nothing. Testing the switch it looks like both the pink and orange circuits complete to ground when the switch is triggerred to either lock or unlock respectfully. Does anyone know how to activate the lock side of the switch?

Sounds like you'd have to run another wire back there. Why not do this: Activate the locks as you get out. Go to the back, turn the key to unlock then push to open. As it opens, turn the key to lock, remove the key, do what you need to do back there then shut it. Its locked!:yelclap:

Can you name an invention that isnt about making things easier, better or more efficient? Man, I wish they would have stopped innovation long ago so we didnt have to try and adapt to things improving.

Im just trying to make it one step easier. Thanks for the help Chuck.

jimmydaux said:
Can you name an invention that isnt about making things easier, better or more efficient? Man, I wish they would have stopped innovation long ago so we didnt have to try and adapt to things improving.

Jimmy where are you seeing these orange/black and pink/white wires? Mine is really old a '90 and mine are different color at the drivers door switch.
Mike

I am planning to do this to my 99. My plan was to find a passenger switch in the junk yard, mount it near the hatch, splice into the wires under the pass kick panel, and run them to the back. I haven't looked the wiring up yet. I will try to remember to look it up on Alldata Monday.

Neal

Mike, those are the wires running to each of the actuators and from the switches at each of the front doors. I guess I failed to mention that my xj is a 98. Im sure that affects the colors of the wires a bit.

sgtmack, when you find out anything about the wiring would you post it up? Im gonna keep playin around with mine a bit to see if I can get the lock side figured out.

Have any of you hooked up a keyless entry recently? If so, where did you hook the output wires from the controller box on these later models, specifically a 98?

jimmydaux said:
Im thinking cheap.... :)

Southwest Chuck said:
Why not do this: Activate the locks as you get out. Go to the back, turn the key to unlock then push to open. As it opens, turn the key to lock, remove the key, do what you need to do back there then shut it. Its locked!:yelclap:

jimmydaux said:

Chuck gives you an option/idea/method that costs $0, takes none of your time to put into effect, and then you knock him for it. You wanted cheap.... can't get any cheaper than that. Geesh!

Touché .... However, he told me something I already do and have the ability to do, Im looking to add capability. I shouldnt have got snappy though, your right. It just struck me as a smart ass comment that didnt sit too well that day.

But regardless of this stuff, Im gonna figure this out so and post it up so if anyone else wants to do it they can.

Maybe you don't have RKE on your XJ. When I want my XJ locked but the hatch unlocked, I just exit the XJ, open the hatch, and lock everything using the RKE.

Then when the "munchkins" finish unloading all the stuff from Sam's Club, they close the hatch and the XJ is locked up tight.

It would be nice to have a switch back there though.

Back