• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

herculiner question

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
Don't know if this has been covered before....
How many gallons would it take to paint the entire exterior of an xj?Would there be any coverage differences between spraying on and rolling on?

Their site says that one quart will coat a 15 square ft area twice,and one gallon coats one 6ft bed twice.

I'd guess somewhere between one and two for a good two coat job. I did the top and the front quarter panels with one gallons worth. I then did the whole interior with a little over a gallon. Two coats of course.

When I did my interior it took a full gallon to put two full coats down and had a little left to cover my rear quarters after folding them and rockers. To do the outside you would probably get better coverage to spray it on as rolling puts it on quite thick. I would buy 2 gallons for the outside to make sure there was enough to do the entire thing without running out. I've contemplated doing the outside but the problem I forsee is when on the trail or rocks if it rolls or the rocks decide to kiss the side of your rig when the metal bend the herc will likely crack and start to peel off there. What I'm going to do instead is sand it down and then primer it up with black primer so if it gets dented or scratched all it takes is a rattle can and a few minutes and good to go again.

make sure you put the UV protectant on it.

otherwise youll have a fading on the roof and hood

Three coats, used 1/3 of a gallon.

DSC03186Large.jpg

MuddyPaws said:
Personally i would never to Herc. It fades, and is not UV stable.

Durabak would be a better choice.

You can get a UV protectant to keep from fading. I didn't use it and I personally like the flat black appearance.

I have used Herc for some things, it just doesn't seem to have the same quality or durrability that Durabak has.

I'm not talking about the flat black of it but more it turns to powder when left in the sun. But talking about the flat black...the older it is, the worse it looks with mud on it. Never seems to clean up.

I went with a company called Grizzly Grip. http://www.grizzlygrip.com/index.asp
I coated the whole vehicle with almost 2 gal. I just kept coating till I ran out. It has the UV protectant that you add just before coating. I'm very happy with it.
The Yellow is Grizzly Grip, the black is Herc. The whole thing is lined inside and out.
Christmas07068.jpg

Back