• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I can't open my back hatch!

WheelinJR

NAXJA Forum User
So long story short, I lost all of my Jeep keys a while back

So, I had a locksmith make new ones, but the ones he made never worked on the back hatch.

I'm convinced he screwed something up inside. I found the original keys finally, and they still won't open the back hatch, you can't even turn the key in it.

So, questions.

1. how do I get the hatch open?

2. once open how do i fix the key/button so i can continue to open/close/lock it

Ive also read that you can get at the two nuts or bolts that hold some of the latch together in behind the bumper.

Most likely cause is a stuck or bent tumbler. Step 1: Put your original key in the lock. Take the but end of a screwdriver and tap on the lock housing around the key (your trying to shock/vibrate it here). then try to turn the key. DON"T TRY TO FORCE IT! (or you will bend a tumbler). What you're trying to do here, is to vibrate that tumbler into place. Repeat several times.

Step 2: spray some electrical contact cleaner with (directional straw inserted) in it while holding a rag underneath the lock and then run the key in and out briskly . Flush it again, well, with the cleaner (there will be a lot of greasy gunk coming out). Repeat. Try the key (both directions). If it's a no go, go back to step one and repeat (since you've got the gunk out now).

As long as a tumbler hasn't been bent, you should be able to get it open using this technique. Also, there is one other posibility. Visually check to see if the dust shutter is in place. It is the little spring loaded door that swings back as you insert your key into the lock. These can easily break when making a key, especially if too much force was used instead of finesse. If that happened, part of the shutter, pivot pin or spring may have fallen into the lock. Use a small flashlght to check, if indicated.

Last edited:
when i bough my xj the back hatch was rusted shut per the locking mechanism i had to carefully (not to break) pull back the plastic reach down inside the door with the proper socket and or wrench and remover the locking mechanism. it worked for me new locking mech is about $75 from the dealer. it took me around an hour and a half to remove the three blots holding it in place very difficult position to work in and the plastic in the way makes it eve tougher. that is my experince with the back hatch not opening anyways.

Back