• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shackle Bolt size on body...

moparjim1987

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a daystar 1 3/4 shackle and coil spacer lift for my cherokee. i started to take it apart wednesday night, and the bolt that holds the shackle to the body won't come out the whole way. I'm probably going to have to cut it off and i was wondering how big the bolt is, and whether it was metric or standard in size. thanks for the help!!

Chris @ GATR said:
The nutsert that is welded to the unibody has probably broken loose and is spinning inside the unibody with the turning of the bolt.

I considered that, and have a good fix for it, but there are other possibilites. :)

That happens a lot.

Run to a hobby shop and get some model airplane fuel (white gas).

Spray a bunch of it around the bolt, repeate 3-4 times and let it sit. That may get it loose (better penetrant than pb blaster).

If that doesnt work, cut both sides of the bolt along the edges of the bushing, and then pull the rest of the bolt out with a pair of vice grips.

One: I learned a new word that will now be used in my vocab: NUTSERT
Two: I'm having flashbacks of cox fuel and model helicopters and climbing trees and roofs.

Does anybody know the size of the bolt though? I am probably going to cut it out so i will have to get new bolts....they look like 1/2" or 9/16" bolts but i haven't a clue

14mm

And also a pretty high grade bolt strength as well. Check the head and try to avoid getting a lower rated bolt. . . The bolts are quite expensive at the dealer, and most places don't stock bolts of the rated strength. Some online bolt places will have them cheaper than the dealer. Search the NAXJA site and you may find a good source.

wavingpine11 said:
And also a pretty high grade bolt strength as well. Check the head and try to avoid getting a lower rated bolt. . . The bolts are quite expensive at the dealer, and most places don't stock bolts of the rated strength. Some online bolt places will have them cheaper than the dealer. Search the NAXJA site and you may find a good source.

Just find a local bolt supplier. They will have any size and grade of bolt that you need and the price will be reasonable too. :sunshine:

Actually, when i was taking it apart last nite, i found that the bolt that holds the shackle to the spring is the same bolt and it wasnt rusty at all. just wire-wheeled it and put it in the body hole. thanks to everyone who posted though, see, I'm not a newbie to the whole car thing, but this is my first jeep, so there are some things i don't know, and that is where you guys (and gals) come in to help with the grey areas. until my next post..........

Back